none
Testing Azure hosted apps RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I don't seem to find an answer to a basic question regarding testing Azure hosted Office 2013 Apps.

Scenario is that I have Office 2013 App that is running in Azure Web Site. The App makes HTTP REST queries to a server component hosted on that same Azure Web Site. Due to cross-site-scripting, I cannot deploy the server component to Azure, and run the actual App locally (querying the Azure server component from the local App's JavaScript code).

What I'm after is that how can I install the App to my Office application, so that the Office application will actually run the App from Azure?

Monday, December 17, 2012 3:03 PM

Answers

• Hello,

You can install apps via fileshare, do the following:

1. Open Excel/Word/..
    2. Go to "File"
    3. Go to "Options"
    4. Go to "Trust Center"
    5. Go to "Trust Center Settings..."
    6. Go to "Trusted App Catalogs"
    7. Add a local fileshare as a new Catalog - e.g. "\\YourMachineName\MySharedFolderContainingTheAppPackage"

After you have done this, you will find a Shared Folder Option in the Apps for Office Insertion Dialog (Insert - Apps for Office).
    If your app manifest (in which you are pointing to the hosted server instead of localhost) is in this folder then you can click the Insert button and the app will launch.

Best Regards,
    Philip

Monday, December 17, 2012 7:07 PM

All replies

• Hello,

You can install apps via fileshare, do the following:

1. Open Excel/Word/..
    2. Go to "File"
    3. Go to "Options"
    4. Go to "Trust Center"
    5. Go to "Trust Center Settings..."
    6. Go to "Trusted App Catalogs"
    7. Add a local fileshare as a new Catalog - e.g. "\\YourMachineName\MySharedFolderContainingTheAppPackage"

After you have done this, you will find a Shared Folder Option in the Apps for Office Insertion Dialog (Insert - Apps for Office).
    If your app manifest (in which you are pointing to the hosted server instead of localhost) is in this folder then you can click the Insert button and the app will launch.

Best Regards,
    Philip

Monday, December 17, 2012 7:07 PM
  • I knew it was trivial, thanks Philip!
    Tuesday, December 18, 2012 8:19 AM