The DLL files can't be updated by running crnet11win_en.exe RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

To fix the problems of the application developed with VS2003 and Crystal Reports, I tried to update some DLL files as the latest version described in the following by running the crnet11win_en.exe

craxddrt20.dll (9.1.2.1697 dated 01/11/2007)
    crdb_adoplus.dll (9.1.0.30 dated 11/04/2005)
    crdb_odbc.dll (9.1.1.459 dated 06/01/2005)
    CRDesigner.dll (9.1.2.508 dated 08/22/2003)
    crpe32.dll (9.1.2.2140 dated 03/25/2008)
    crqe.dll (9.1.1.472 dated 05/20/2004)
    crxf_pdf.dll (9.1.1.544 dated 02/12/2007)
    crxf_xls.dll (9.1.1.557 dated 02/13/2003)
    CrystalDecisions.CrystalReports.Engine.dll (9.1.9800.23 dated 01/16/2006)
    CrystalDecisions.ReportSource.dll (9.1.9800.5 dated 08/26/2003)
    CrystalDecisions.Shared.dll (9.1.9800.5 dated 08/26/2003)
    CrystalDecisions.VSShell.dll (9.1.9800.1 dated 02/28/2005)
    CrystalDecisions.Web.dll (9.1.9800.10 dated 05/12/2004)
    CrystalDecisions.Windows.Forms.dll (9.1.9800.10 dated 05/07/2004)
    ExportModeller.dll (9.1.1.528 dated 07/01/2007)

After running it, I found that the files had not been updated. I am beginner for using VS2003 and Crystal Reports so that I don't know whether the DLL files can be updated manually one by one. If it is possible, What steps need I perform to update them ? If you have any suggestion, please let me know in detail.

Finally, thank you for your studying my question.

Tony Carfield

Sunday, July 3, 2011 1:28 PM

Answers

• Hi Tony,

I have no other suggestions for you. Maybe DEP is blocking the update??? You could try using GACUtil to manually register the new dll's.... It works for most so this must be a OS or VS 2003 configuration/permission issue....

Right click on the setup.exe and Select Run As Administrator may work if you haven't tried that yet...

Don

Don Williams
    Friday, July 15, 2011 2:49 PM

All replies

• Hi Tony,

It could be due to DEP or Anti-virus blocking the installer. Try running it by right clicking and run as Administrator.

What error are you getting when running the install?

Try enabling MSIExec.exe logging to generate a log file and see if it shows any access denied or other errors.

Don

Don Williams
    Monday, July 4, 2011 4:18 AM
  • Hi Don,

Thank you for your suggestion.

Following your suggestion, I have tried to close the ESET NOD32 Antivirus 4 and run the crnet11win_en.exe by right clicking and run as Administrator. But the DLL files still has not  been updated and no any error message has been shown on the screen.

Besides, I have extracted all files from the crnet11win_en.exe with Universal Extractor and have  found only the Setup.exe but no any MSI file so that I don't know how to run it with the MSIExec.exe for generating a log file.

To solve the problems, I think I should tell you what the version of the main softwares are installed on this computer:

• Windows Xp Professional with Service Pack 3 
    • Visual Studio .NET 2003 Professional
    • Crystal Reports for Visual Studio .NET

If you have more suggestion, please inform me.

Thank you very much for your help.

Tony Carfield

Monday, July 4, 2011 3:24 PM
  • Hi Tony,

Ah right, that is a patch not a full install.

That file is a self extracting file, just run the file and it will install, don't try to do it manually.

Also, Turn DEP off, it's in the Advance tab in System, or at least set it to Essential Services only. I noticed this happen to me also. It ran but did not update the files and no warnings anywhere.

CR 9 was built with the VS 2002 or 2003 C++ compiler which wasn't DEP aware.

Thanks again

Don

Don Williams
    Tuesday, July 5, 2011 12:40 AM
  • Hi Don,

Thank you for your information.

Today, I have closed the Antivirus software, run the crnet11win_en.exe with the Run as administrator feature and turned DEP off by editing the body of the boot.ini file(noexecute=AlwaysOff) but the DLL files still can't be updated. Is there other method to update them ? 

If you have more information, please let me know.

Tony

Tuesday, July 5, 2011 1:54 PM
  • Hi Tony,

None that I know of... It should work.

Post your question to the SAP .NET forum and search there also: http://forums.sdn.sap.com/forum.jspa?forumID=313

Don

Don Williams
    Tuesday, July 5, 2011 10:05 PM
  • Hi Don,

Before posting my question here, I tried to post it to the SAP.NET forum.

Thank you for your help.

Tony

Wednesday, July 6, 2011 3:24 PM
  • Hi Don,

Thank you for your suggestion.

After seeking more information about my question from the SAP.NET forum once again, I have found a suggestion that the crnet11win_en.exe should not be performed on the machine installed Windows XP Service Pack 3. Should I uninstall the Windows XP Service Pack 3 and then perform the crnet11win_en.exe  to update the DLL files ?

Tony

Wednesday, July 6, 2011 4:02 PM
  • Tried to post on SAP forum? Reply to that suggestion you found and see if it helped that user.

I believe all of our runtime requires SP3 now but because this version of CR is integrated in VS then it's what ever VS supported.

Thanks

Don

Don Williams
    Wednesday, July 6, 2011 5:49 PM
  • Hi Tony,

How is your issue going now?
    We are looking forward to hearing from you. Thanks.

Have a nice weekend,
    Leo Liu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Friday, July 8, 2011 3:21 AM
  • Hi Don and Leo,

After uninstalling the Windows XP service pack 3, I tried to install the hot fix, crnet11win_en.exe but the result is the same.

However, it is very important to update the DLL files for me. Therefore, I want to create an new  partition and re-install the following softwares on it for this updating:

• Windows XP with Service Pack 2
    • All hardware drivers
    • ESET NOD32 Antivirus 4.0
    • Windows XP Service Pack 3
    • Visual Studio .NET 2003 Professional
    • the hot fix, crnet11win_en.exe 

Could you tell me how I install them to make sure I can update the DLL files ? Do I have to do anything else before installing the hot fix ? 

Thank you for your studying my problem.

Tony Carfield

Thursday, July 14, 2011 12:29 PM
  • Hello,

Quite often I've seen anti-virus software block installs. Try disabling ESET NOD32 Antivirus 4.0and install the patch on you existing PC. Or on your new image then before installing the AV install in the order you have indicated and then once it's all installed then install the AV software.

Don
    Don Williams
    Thursday, July 14, 2011 12:56 PM
  • Hi Don,

Thank you for your quick response

Last time, I tried to disable ESET NOD32 Antivirus 4.0 and then installed the patch on my existing computer but the DLL files could be updated. This time, I will install all the mentioned other softwares before installing the NOD32 Antivirus 4.0., following your suggestion. 

Tony Carfield

Thursday, July 14, 2011 2:24 PM
  • Hi Don,

Today, I tried to install them on my new partition according to your suggestion. Finally, the result is the same.

What should I do anything else before installing the patch? For example, register VS2003 ,install the previous service packs of the Crystal Reports and so on. Are there some errors in the patch file, crnet11win_en.exe ? Could I only update the part of them manually ?

Tony Carfield

Friday, July 15, 2011 12:12 PM
  • Hi Tony,

I have no other suggestions for you. Maybe DEP is blocking the update??? You could try using GACUtil to manually register the new dll's.... It works for most so this must be a OS or VS 2003 configuration/permission issue....

Right click on the setup.exe and Select Run As Administrator may work if you haven't tried that yet...

Don

Don Williams
    Friday, July 15, 2011 2:49 PM
  • Hi Don,

Thank you very much for your help with all your heart.

I will try to manually register the new dll files with GACUtil.

Have a nice weekend!

Tony Carfield

Saturday, July 16, 2011 3:32 AM