none
Unable to set Freeze Panes property of windows class - Intermittent error. RRS feed

• Question

• User is running Office 2013 on a Windows 7 PC.

We have a single user (of a pool of about 50 that use the same report) that tries to run a report from a third party software. The user, somewhat randomly receives this error:

"Unable to set Freeze Panes property of windows class"

We have tried rebuilding the users profile, reimaging the PC, providing a new PC, repairing office, disabling add-ins, running excel in safe mode, disabling the windows explorer preview pane without any luck.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thank you.

Thursday, June 22, 2017 2:12 PM

All replies

• We have a single user and workstation that gets an error in one of our applications when trying to launch Excel.

"Unable to set freeze panes property"

When we do a repair of Office from control panel Excel will work fine with the application, until we reboot.  After rebooting the user gets the same error with Excel.

Any ideas?

Tuesday, June 20, 2017 5:15 PM
  • Hi,

Welcome to the Office 2013 and Office 365 ProPlus IT Pro General Discussions forum. This forum is for general question and feedback related to Office desktop applications.

Since your question could be more related to Office development, I'll move it to a more appropriate forum:

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/home?forum=exceldev

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who read the forums regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us. Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,

Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, June 21, 2017 8:56 AM
  • Hello,

According to your description, do you mean running Excel in safe mode, you would still get the error? Is the Excel still launched from your application?   

Is the issue reproducible? If providing a new PC would not work, it seems the issue could be reproduced within your application. What kind of application do you develop? What code do you use to launch Excel?

Besides, please see the following similar cases:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/40505788/setting-freezepanes-property-of-the-windows-class-excel-vba

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/41674619/unable-to-set-the-freezepanes-property-of-the-window-class-excel-2016-office

Regards,

Celeste

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, June 23, 2017 1:55 AM
  • Just launch excel on own. Go to View, enable freeze panes then turn them back off. Closed Excel and try running it again. This typically works for me if I have the issue on O365. 2010/2013 I  see this issue too often. 
    • Edited by TechGuy1337 Monday, September 11, 2017 2:24 PM
    Monday, September 11, 2017 2:23 PM
  • Perfect...that's exactly what was happening to me, worked for me!!! thank you.

• Edited by Singh91 Monday, March 26, 2018 10:59 AM
    Monday, March 26, 2018 10:59 AM