OPC and C# RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to develop an OPC client using C# 2005, should I use the Automation Wrapper provided by the OPC foundation or is there a better way.
    Monday, September 18, 2006 12:33 PM

All replies

• You can use the Automation Wrapper with C#.  It's fairly quick and easy to get an OPC client put together that way.

If you are creating a more 'industrial strenght' application, you might consider using the native .NET wrapper from the OPC Foundation.   You do have to be a Foundation member to access that code.

Friday, September 29, 2006 8:35 PM
  • For the easiest and most reliable OPC connections in C# 2005 applications I suggest our OPC Controls.NET product.  The central data communications runs as a Windows Service and the components for your application are all 100% managed.  You cannot achieve 100% managed application with direct OPC connections.

Visit www.opcsystems.com for more information.

Ken Eldridge, Open Automation Software

Tuesday, November 14, 2006 1:01 AM
  • For quality OPC .NET solutions the Automation Wrapper is not advisable and the OPC Foundation membership is costly for components only.

A low cost product is the widely used Advosol OPCDA.NET client component. A set of .NET classes and controls handle all aspects of OPC DA server access. Visual Studio wizards, extensive documentation and free support ensure quick and successful project realization.

Monday, May 26, 2008 4:15 AM
  • Hi,

I have developed several industrial applications in C# using the automation wrapper.

Could you give some rationale behind your statement ?

Thank you.

Sunday, July 20, 2008 1:14 AM
  • Hi luc

Im a bachelor ICT and currently I'm trying  to visualise a plc in a windows application using C#. Iva notised the automation wrapper I was hoping you could send me some code sample to get me started developing the OPC client.

Thanks

madzolla@hotmail.com

Thursday, April 23, 2009 1:29 PM
  • Hi,

If you have specific questions, maybe I can help you get started, but the code I'm working on belongs to my customers, so I'm not at liberty to distribute it.

If you look on the Kepware web site, I think they have a link to some basic code.

Regards.

Luc Morin, T.P. http://www.stlm.ca
    Wednesday, May 6, 2009 11:30 PM
  • You can use QuickOPC from OPC Labs: http://www.opclabs.com/products/quickopc .

This is a "low ceremony" API - can get you OPC values without writing too much code.

Wednesday, January 31, 2018 10:36 AM