How to send through to my client some progress updates of an app every 2 days RRS feed

• Question

• I'm developing a GUI program in VB.Net for a client and he requires me to send through to him some progress updates every 2 days.

I'm not sure what to send, as I can't send the source code to him as I work as freelance and there's no agreement for source code to be shared, in addition, he even can't read source code too.

So what should I send him?

Tuesday, December 12, 2017 12:29 PM

Answers

• Yes you should work that out with your client and it should be specd in your contract. Otherwise (your client) can say you are not doing it or demand something you did not count on.

Say you are writing a hello world program. Then a report might be:

Day XX

Hours worked: 4

Tasks: Coding Main form and controls.

Day XX

Tasks: Testing Main form and controls.

Day XX

Hours worked: 2

Tasks: Spelling hello debate

Day XX

Hours worked: 9

Tasks: add hello world print from string

ps Other things: Milestones, action items, anything to communicate to others what to do, what happened, what will happen, when it happens.

The idea is everyone knows what is happening and no one is surprised when something happens or does not happen.

• Edited by tommytwotrain Tuesday, December 12, 2017 2:13 PM
    • Marked as answer by Christine25 Thursday, August 15, 2019 10:29 AM
    Tuesday, December 12, 2017 2:06 PM

All replies

• Did you ask him what he wants to see, specifically, in the way of a progress report? You could identify functionality that has been coded and if that functionality can be demonstrated in the app then take screen captures or animated demos using a screen capture program.

Paul ~~~~ Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)

Tuesday, December 12, 2017 1:14 PM
  • Yes you should work that out with your client and it should be specd in your contract. Otherwise (your client) can say you are not doing it or demand something you did not count on.

Say you are writing a hello world program. Then a report might be:

Day XX

Tasks: Coding Main form and controls.

Day XX

Tasks: Testing Main form and controls.

Day XX

Hours worked: 2

Tasks: Spelling hello debate

Day XX

Hours worked: 9

Tasks: add hello world print from string

ps Other things: Milestones, action items, anything to communicate to others what to do, what happened, what will happen, when it happens.

The idea is everyone knows what is happening and no one is surprised when something happens or does not happen.

• Edited by tommytwotrain Tuesday, December 12, 2017 2:13 PM
    • Marked as answer by Christine25 Thursday, August 15, 2019 10:29 AM
    Tuesday, December 12, 2017 2:06 PM