none
opening from a new user account RRS feed

• Question

• Due to corruption of a different program, I was forced to create a new user account. I copied the folder of my web site to the new user in windows explorer. The problem I’m having is when the program opens I can’t locate what to click on to get my site (files) to open. Can someone tell me how to open my page?

Thanks

Fred

Friday, July 29, 2011 6:57 PM

All replies

• Open EW and then depending on the version, click File or Site > Open Site.
    On the open site dialog, click the My Computer icon and then browse to the site location.
    EW will then remember where it lives.

Expression Web MVP
    Friday, July 29, 2011 7:03 PM
  • Your question is rather confusing.  You moved your site folder, but you are using the same program.  You would use the same command to open a site as you did before, and simply navigate to the new folder.

Friday, July 29, 2011 7:04 PM
  • A "site" is nothing more than a folder which EW (or Dreamweaver—works the same there) recognizes as a Web site and will manage for you if "Manage site using hidden metadata" is enabled in Site Settings.

Once a folder has been opened as a Web site, EW will thenceforth recognize it and present it in the list of managed sites and in the Recent Sites list of the File menu (EW<=2) or the Site Menu (EW>=3). So just use File|Open Site or Site|Open Site to initially open it (a standard dialog will permit browsing to the folder).

From then on, if you have "Open last Web site automatically when Expression Web starts" selected in Application Options|General tab, the site will be available when EW launches. Otherwise, you'll have to select it from the Recent Sites or Open Site lists, both of which will have it available without the need to browse.

cheers,
    scott 

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.
    Friday, July 29, 2011 7:29 PM
  • I'm new at this. I opened a page and all the pages and pictures show up in the folders list. At the top of the page what used to be navigation buttons now only show up as text. If I do a control click ittakes me to the proper page. However there is no style to it and the name ofthe page does not show up in the proper size or color. If I doubnle click on what was a navigation button the "link bar properties" boxcomes up. I assume I should be changing it, but I don't know what to do with it. I'm afraid to publish until I get everything looking right. Can you help?
    Saturday, July 30, 2011 1:39 PM
  • Please delete your duplicate posts.  Only reply once.  Everyone can read that reply.

Don't "open a page".  Open your site, then open a page.  The "site" is the folder containing your pages, not an individual page.

You mention "linkbar properties".  Are you talking about FrontPage linkbars?

Saturday, July 30, 2011 1:46 PM