Guidelines on Pagination

Question

• I could not find any Microsoft guidelines on pagination for Windows 8 app.

As an example, I have 1000 items come back after a search which can't be accommodated in a grid view. I have to either use page numbers (pagination) to indicate the user that there is more data they can see, or do some type of virtual scrolling (I implemented a lazy loading pattern on this website).

Any research on how pagination is good or bad for a UI on a touch device?

Friday, February 21, 2014 10:39 PM

Answers

All replies

• Take a look at the Navigation patterns documentation. For what you describe I'd virtualize the data into an infinite page and use Semantic zoom to let the user jump between areas more easily.

If you have natural page breaks in the data then you may want to split things that way instead.

--Rob

Friday, February 21, 2014 11:41 PM
  • Thanks Rob.

I may use a grid with no pages link at all, but apply a lazy loading if the user is scrolling down or up (like I have shown in the example in the previous post). I may sort the contacts by First Name and then change the view when zoomed out. With this grid view will change to a bar graph with how many are starting with letter A, B etc...

Saturday, February 22, 2014 12:36 PM
  • You can use the layout pattern described here to lay out UI elements on your app pages. Following a consistent pattern for margins, page headers, gutter widths, and other such elements maintains unity across apps and helps people easily understand interactions across the system.

Laying out an app page

Tuesday, April 1, 2014 6:14 AM