none
Bitlocker recovery key RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm trying to extract the recovery key using c#.

I tried using the bitlocker API.

But i'm sure how to use the methode, can't find any examples to extract the key.

Wednesday, January 8, 2020 2:12 PM

All replies

• I can't tell if you're joking or not.  You can't extract the recovery key from an encrypted disk.  That would defeat the whole purpose of the key.  The key is either (a) stored in your Microsoft account, or (b) written down on a piece of paper, or (c) stored in a USB key somewhere, or (d) cached by the domain administrator.  If you don't have any of those things, then the disk is a brick.  You have no choice except to reformat.

Tim Roberts | Driver MVP Emeritus | Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.

Wednesday, January 8, 2020 9:59 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for posting here.

A BitLocker recovery key is a special key that was automatically generated when encrypting the specific drive with BitLocker drive encryption.

It stores in a .BEK file named like: BitLocker Recovery Key 444C8E16-45E7-4F23-96CE-3B3FA04D2189.BEK).

If you forget the key and cannot find the file, you are probably unable to unlock the disk.

Check this link for where this file is usually located.

Find my BitLocker recovery key

If you want to learn more about BitLocker, please refer to this link.

How to use BitLocker Drive Encryption on Windows 10

Note: This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites; Therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from the Internet.

Hope this could be helpful.

Best Regards,

Timon

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, January 9, 2020 7:05 AM
  • What i meant was showing the bitlocker recovering key using c#

Using the bitlocker API, Win32_EncryptableVolume class.

We are not going to store it in AD, but storing in our database. Then we need to get the bitlocker key ouput on startup of the pc and store it in database.
    Thursday, January 9, 2020 7:17 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your feedback.

According to your description, you stored the recovery key in the database,

Then you want to get it when the computer is turned on.

I'm sure there are other steps, right?

Could you describe it in more detail?

Best Regards,

Timon

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, January 10, 2020 6:56 AM