GoDaddy Installation Walkthrough RRS feed

• Question

• User-612598547 posted

I've been foraging through the forums for info about the GoDaddy situation.  I have found several scattered threads about several different errors.  What I can't seem to find is an installation guide for .net newbies.

I suspect with the help of others, I can compile a 1.2.3 walkthrough that would guide a user through the complete setup of the Club Site Starter Kit.  I have access to GoDaddy hosting and have a test account that would be available.

If there is such interest please let me know.

BoosterMan

Wednesday, March 8, 2006 1:53 PM

All replies

• User1923026465 posted

Wish I would have had a walkthrough this morning.  I was however able to muscle my way through most of it.  However I would like to know how to do two things.  One, if I cannot get access to the asp.net controls, how do I setup the smtp mail piece of the club site.  Two, GoDaddy has a database limit of 100mb for MS SQL.  I plan to have a lot of albums and pictures on my site.  How can I change the code so that the pictures do not reside in the database, rather and image folder?

Any help would be appreciated.  Also if you would like some imput to the guide, let me know, I am willing to share the pains I endured...

Shane L. Hackney

Wednesday, March 8, 2006 6:05 PM
  • User-612598547 posted

I suspect that will probably fall outside of the scope of the initial version of the walkthrough.  My goal will be to document those steps necessary to at least get the default site up and working.  I'd like to see future versions of the walkthrough that might add MaineOne's Admin functions, replace the News section with RSS feeds, etc.

Initially though, I felt it necessary to at least create a step by step walkthrough from download to publish.  I think I have enough to publish the beta tomorrow.  Then we'll have to have some way to check the steps and modify until we get a "finalized" 1.0 :)

I want to put thanks out ahead of time to MaineOne and btech_rohit for some critical pieces of info that I worked into my guide.

Look for the post tomorrow!

BoosterMan

Wednesday, March 8, 2006 11:28 PM
  • User1923026465 posted

Ok, to answer my own question one, to solve the problem with email settings at GoDaddy, ad the following to the web.config file;

<system.net>
        <defaultProxy>
          <proxy usesystemdefault="False"      proxyaddress="http://wc-v01.inet.mesa1.gdg:3128"      bypassonlocal="False" />
        </defaultProxy>
      </system.net>

<system.net>
          <mailSettings>
            <smtp deliveryMethod="network" from="youemail@yourhost.com">
              <network
                host="relay-hosting.secureserver.net"
                port="25"
                defaultCredentials="true"
            />
            </smtp>
          </mailSettings>
        </system.net>

Enjoy...

Shane L. Hackney

Thursday, March 9, 2006 9:03 AM
  • User-683362543 posted

hi everyone,

This has been a learning experience so far. I must say I called godaddy to see if they could identify what the issues are with loading the website and they provided no help.

Well thus far, I have been able to combine the databases and get the application to work on my local server.

However, I still could not get it to work on go daddy site.

I am not sure what I did after I got the site to work on the local server I have the following error

Message 1 Could not find schema information for the element 'http://schemas.microsoft.com/.NetConfiguration/v2.0:configuration'. C:\LOL3\LakesofLagunaHOA\Web.config 2 2 C:\LOL3\LakesofLagunaHOA\
    Message 2 Could not find schema information for the element 'http://schemas.microsoft.com/.NetConfiguration/v2.0:location'. C:\LOL3\LakesofLagunaHOA\Web.config 3 3 C:\LOL3\LakesofLagunaHOA\
    Message 3 Could not find schema information for the attribute 'path'. C:\LOL3\LakesofLagunaHOA\Web.config 3 12 C:\LOL3\LakesofLagunaHOA\
    Message 4 Could not find schema information for the element 'http://schemas.microsoft.com/.NetConfiguration/v2.0:system.web'. C:\LOL3\LakesofLagunaHOA\Web.config 4 4 C:\LOL3\LakesofLagunaHOA\

and this goes onnnn.

Any suggestions on what I messed up?

Friday, March 10, 2006 12:28 AM
  • User1923026465 posted

Ok, here are the steps I took to get my site going at GoDaddy.

1. Make sure you have the ASP.net 2.0 runtime loaded.

2. Create your SQL Database with the ASP.Net 2.0 SQL Server Schema Features loaded.

3.  Use the club-add.sql script in the App_Data folder of your club site (Assuming you haven't changed any of your tables) to create the tables in your db at GoDaddy using the query analyzer in you SQL Admin consel that GoDaddy provides.  

4.  After you have run your script you will notice that the table owners of the newly created tables belong to who the username you were logged in as rather than 'dbo'.  This means you need to update your queries in you clubsite replacing the dbo.tablename with godaddylogin.tablename.

5.  Upload your site and the pages should load correctly.  I do not think I am forgeting anything.  You will need to use the role management pages that MaineOne created to manage the roles and assign them to users for your site.  You will also need to modify you mail settings in the web.config file.  I posted something on this earlier in this forum.

FYI, after you change your query string as described above, it will not work locally.  What I do is make changed locally and upload the updated pages to my GoDaddy site and test from there.  If you have data in you local db that you need up to you GoDaddy site, you will have to export them to a CSV or XML file and import them using the admin counsil.  Good luck, the free SQL management tools that are available does not have export or import tools that I can find.  Hope this help.

Friday, March 10, 2006 9:22 AM
  • User-683362543 posted

Thanks for your help..

In your web config file. What did you use as your connections string to go daddy server?

<connectionStrings>

<add name="ClubSiteDbConnect" connectionString="&#xA;Server=whsql-v06.prod.mesa1.secureserver.net;&#xA;Database=DB_41701;&#xA;User ID=myid;&#xA;Password=myPassword;&#xA;Trusted_Connection=False" providerName="System.Data.SqlClient"/>

<remove name="LocalSqlServer"/>

<add name="LocalSqlServer" connectionString="&#xA;Server=whsql-v06.prod.mesa1.secureserver.net;&#xA;Database=DB_41701;&#xA;User ID=myid;&#xA;Password=mypassword;&#xA;Trusted_Connection=False" providerName="System.Data.SqlClient"/>

</connectionStrings>

-->Thanks for your help.

Friday, March 10, 2006 3:11 PM
  • User1923026465 posted

<connectionStrings>

<add name="ClubSiteDB" connectionString="Server=tcp:whsql-v07.prod.mesa1.secureserver.net; Database=DB_45532; User ID=myusername; Password='mypassword'; Trusted_Connection=False" providerName="System.Data.SqlClient" />

<add name="LocalSqlServer" connectionString="Server=tcp:whsql-v07.prod.mesa1.secureserver.net; Database=DB_45532; User ID=myusername; Password='mypassword'; Trusted_Connection=False" providerName="System.Data.SqlClient" />

</connectionStrings>

Monday, March 13, 2006 9:38 AM
  • User-1099767244 posted
    hey very good job on this, can't wait to try it myself
    Tuesday, March 14, 2006 11:47 PM
  • User-612598547 posted

Sorry it took so long to get this posted.  This is a step by step aimed for people who aren't all that familiar with this.  This is geared to getting a default club site working on GoDaddy.  I can't say its definitive, but it worked for me 3 times in row from a scratch site.  I'm also assuming you've downloaded VWD, club.vsi and the clubadd and clubremove scripts.  It also assumes you'll be managing several different windows.

1. Create your site locally.  Include AT LEAST 1 local admin account.
    2. Run site using CTRL-F5.
    3. Log into your GoDaddy hosting account and open the control panel.
    4. Click on ASP.Net runtime and select 2.0
    5. Click Databases > SQL Server > Create New Database.
    6. Select
      1. Check DSN (optional?)
      2. Enter UserName (this will become the database name NOT your hosting login)
      3. Enter Password (again, database password NOT hosting password)
      4. Check "Install Schema Features"
    7. Click Continue > Create Database (it WILL take some time for the database to create itself, you can refresh by clicking the SQL button in the left menu)
    8. Once setup finishes, Click Pencil icon under actions > print this page.
    9. Click Computer icon under actions > record the SQL Connection (.NET) strings
    10. Click Open Manager
    11. Click Connection > Enter the Username and Password from 6 above.
    12. Once connected, expand Tools menu > Click Query Analyzer
    13. Cut & Paste all text from club-add.sql into the Query Analyzer window
    14. Click Submit (you should see many "command(s) completed successfully" below)
    15. Go back to VWD and edit default.aspx
    16. Go to Edit > Find & Replace > Quick Replace
      1. Find dbo. (NOT Dbo. big difference)
      2. Replace with <blank> (nothing, nada, zip, zero)
      3. Look in: Current Document
    17. Click Replace All (should be 12 or more) > Save default.aspx
    18. Repeat steps 16 & 17 for:
      1. Events_Edit.aspx
      2. Events_View.aspx
    19. Open web.config
      1. Replace original text
        1. <add name="ClubSiteDB" connectionString="Data Source=.\SQLExpress;<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

Integrated Security=true;<o:p></o:p>

AttachDBFileName=|DataDirectory|Club.mdf;<o:p></o:p>

User Instance=True" providerName="System.Data.SqlClient"/>

2. With new text

1. <add name="ClubSiteDB" providerName="System.Data.SqlClient"<o:p></o:p>

connectionString="server=whsql-v04.prod.mesa1.secureserver.net;<o:p></o:p>

database=DB_12345;<o:p></o:p>

uid=myusername;<o:p></o:p>

pwd=mypassword"/><o:p></o:p>

<remove name="LocalSqlServer"/><o:p></o:p>

<add name="LocalSqlServer" providerName="System.Data.SqlClient"<o:p></o:p>

connectionString="server=whsql-v04.prod.mesa1.secureserver.net;<o:p></o:p>

database=DB_12345;<o:p></o:p>

uid=myusername;<o:p></o:p>

pwd=mypassword"/>

20. Change <customErrors mode="Off" /> (optional)

21. Save!!!

22. Run CTRL-F5 again.  (it will bring up a window with a server error, what you want is to look in the lower left corner of the VWD window for "Build Successful")

23. Click Website > Copy Web Site > Connect

24. Input your hosting username and password (NOT you database uid and pwd)

25. Highlight all files from the left side and click right arrow to transfer.

26. Go to your public website and create an account for each admin you created on your local database.  (make sure the usernames and passwords are the same!!!)

27. Log back into Query Analyzer

28. Input

1. SELECT RoleId FROM aspnet_Roles WHERE RoleName="Administrators"

29. Copy bracketed response into a text document and include the brackets

30. Reset QA and Input

1. SELECT UserId FROM aspnet_Users WHERE UserName="username"

31. Copy each bracketed response to your text document.

32. Reset QA again and Input

1. INSERT INTO aspnet_UsersInRoles (RoleId, UserID) VALUES ('copied text from 29', 'copied text from 31')

33. Repeat 28-32 for each admin account.

34. Welcome to your club site on GoDaddy!

Thanks to MaineOne and btech_rohit for insight into this problem!

BoosterMan

Thursday, March 16, 2006 10:33 PM
  • User1923026465 posted

Well done.  I only have one comment.  Starting at step 28, I have never understood this.  I have created 4+ DBs with GoDaddy and never once have there been any records in any of the table you are querying with these steps.  Why is this necessary and what does it fix?

Friday, March 17, 2006 10:20 AM
  • User-612598547 posted
    My understanding is that the Administrators account is a mandatory account and is automatically included in the table.  It is given a random ID code at creation.  The select statement pulls that ID code and allows you to assign users to that code.
    Friday, March 17, 2006 7:01 PM
  • User-683362543 posted

Hi

Great Job.

You lost me at step 26.

Is the  public website your http://mywebsite.com?

27 . Log back into Query Analyzer- This is on the godaddy site ..correct?

Are we trying to update the information from the rows on the local db into the godaddy tables?

-----

This is were I am stuck at-

I was able to to get the site up and running on godaddy's server and it is now published on http:// , but i do not have adminstrator access to any of the screens just member access. Will your steps from 26 correct this problem?

Friday, March 17, 2006 8:13 PM
  • User-445758669 posted

I just signed up with Godaddy in order to use their free Club site application.  But I really need to setup 3 different clubs (3 baseball teams) and I would like to find out if anyone know if this can be done using the Godaddy Club application. 

I would also like to find out if I have to use SQL for the DB for the Club app.  I'm not going to have alot of data for each team (primarily a roster and practice and game schedules) so is it possible to use Access with the Club app and place the MDB file on the web site in some folder?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

BTW, I would have asked GoDaddy these questions but I can't find a link to send them email.

Friday, March 17, 2006 10:00 PM
  • User-612598547 posted

The public website would be your www.mysite.com.

The Query Analyzer is in the GoDaddy Hosting web site.

Yes.  The SQL Input statements created by btech will update your regular member login to an admin level login.

Sunday, March 19, 2006 9:44 PM
  • User1479750397 posted

I made it to step 12 and am now stuck.  Can you help?  I don't see a Tools menu to expand.  My screen is a phpAdmin page that has MySQL and phpMyAdmin on it.  Under MySQL there is Show Processes, Databases, Export, Log Out.  I can run SQL query on the database but I get the following error "#1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax.  Check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '[Albums] (
        [albumid] [int] IDENTITY (1, 1) NOT NULL ,
        [titl"

This is at the start of the query (copied club-add.sql).  Where am I going wrong?

Monday, March 20, 2006 10:36 PM
  • User1923026465 posted
    The instructions were to setup the Club site using an SQL Database.  The instruction will not work using MySQL.  You either need to create a SQL DB, or you will have to do some more work to convert to MySQL...
    Tuesday, March 21, 2006 10:11 AM
  • User-275142879 posted

Got to step 26 and now I am stuck with the error when I go to default.aspx an my public site:

Server Error in '/' Application.

Line 1: Incorrect syntax near '<'.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Line 1: Incorrect syntax near '<'.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[SqlException (0x80131904): Line 1: Incorrect syntax near '<'.]
       System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection) +857434
       System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection) +735046
       System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndWarning(TdsParserStateObject stateObj) +188
       System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.Run(RunBehavior runBehavior, SqlCommand cmdHandler, SqlDataReader dataStream, BulkCopySimpleResultSet bulkCopyHandler, TdsParserStateObject stateObj) +1838
       System.Data.SqlClient.SqlDataReader.ConsumeMetaData() +31
       System.Data.SqlClient.SqlDataReader.get_MetaData() +62
       System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.FinishExecuteReader(SqlDataReader ds, RunBehavior runBehavior, String resetOptionsString) +297
       System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteReaderTds(CommandBehavior cmdBehavior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream, Boolean async) +886
       System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteReader(CommandBehavior cmdBehavior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream, String method, DbAsyncResult result) +132
       System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteReader(CommandBehavior cmdBehavior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream, String method) +32
       System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteReader(CommandBehavior behavior, String method) +122
       System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteDbDataReader(CommandBehavior behavior) +12
       System.Data.Common.DbCommand.System.Data.IDbCommand.ExecuteReader(CommandBehavior behavior) +7
       System.Data.Common.DbDataAdapter.FillInternal(DataSet dataset, DataTable[] datatables, Int32 startRecord, Int32 maxRecords, String srcTable, IDbCommand command, CommandBehavior behavior) +141
       System.Data.Common.DbDataAdapter.Fill(DataSet dataSet, Int32 startRecord, Int32 maxRecords, String srcTable, IDbCommand command, CommandBehavior behavior) +137
       System.Data.Common.DbDataAdapter.Fill(DataSet dataSet, String srcTable) +83
       System.Web.UI.WebControls.SqlDataSourceView.ExecuteSelect(DataSourceSelectArguments arguments) +1770
       System.Web.UI.DataSourceView.Select(DataSourceSelectArguments arguments, DataSourceViewSelectCallback callback) +17
       System.Web.UI.WebControls.DataBoundControl.PerformSelect() +149
       System.Web.UI.WebControls.BaseDataBoundControl.DataBind() +70
       System.Web.UI.WebControls.GridView.DataBind() +4
       System.Web.UI.WebControls.BaseDataBoundControl.EnsureDataBound() +82
       System.Web.UI.WebControls.CompositeDataBoundControl.CreateChildControls() +69
       System.Web.UI.Control.EnsureChildControls() +87
       System.Web.UI.Control.PreRenderRecursiveInternal() +41
       System.Web.UI.Control.PreRenderRecursiveInternal() +161
       System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +1360

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.42; ASP.NET Version:2.0.50727.42 <!-- [SqlException]: Line 1: Incorrect syntax near '<'. at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection) at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection) at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndWarning(TdsParserStateObject stateObj) at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.Run(RunBehavior runBehavior, SqlCommand cmdHandler, SqlDataReader dataStream, BulkCopySimpleResultSet bulkCopyHandler, TdsParserStateObject stateObj) at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlDataReader.ConsumeMetaData() at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlDataReader.get_MetaData() at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.FinishExecuteReader(SqlDataReader ds, RunBehavior runBehavior, String resetOptionsString) at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteReaderTds(CommandBehavior cmdBehavior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream, Boolean async) at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteReader(CommandBehavior cmdBehavior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream, String method, DbAsyncResult result) at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteReader(CommandBehavior cmdBehavior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream, String method) at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteReader(CommandBehavior behavior, String method) at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteDbDataReader(CommandBehavior behavior) at System.Data.Common.DbCommand.System.Data.IDbCommand.ExecuteReader(CommandBehavior behavior) at System.Data.Common.DbDataAdapter.FillInternal(DataSet dataset, DataTable[] datatables, Int32 startRecord, Int32 maxRecords, String srcTable, IDbCommand command, CommandBehavior behavior) at System.Data.Common.DbDataAdapter.Fill(DataSet dataSet, Int32 startRecord, Int32 maxRecords, String srcTable, IDbCommand command, CommandBehavior behavior) at System.Data.Common.DbDataAdapter.Fill(DataSet dataSet, String srcTable) at System.Web.UI.WebControls.SqlDataSourceView.ExecuteSelect(DataSourceSelectArguments arguments) at System.Web.UI.DataSourceView.Select(DataSourceSelectArguments arguments, DataSourceViewSelectCallback callback) at System.Web.UI.WebControls.DataBoundControl.PerformSelect() at System.Web.UI.WebControls.BaseDataBoundControl.DataBind() at System.Web.UI.WebControls.GridView.DataBind() at System.Web.UI.WebControls.BaseDataBoundControl.EnsureDataBound() at System.Web.UI.WebControls.CompositeDataBoundControl.CreateChildControls() at System.Web.UI.Control.EnsureChildControls() at System.Web.UI.Control.PreRenderRecursiveInternal() at System.Web.UI.Control.PreRenderRecursiveInternal() at System.Web.UI.Control.PreRenderRecursiveInternal() at System.Web.UI.Control.PreRenderRecursiveInternal() at System.Web.UI.Control.PreRenderRecursiveInternal() at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) [HttpUnhandledException]: Exception of type 'System.Web.HttpUnhandledException' was thrown. at System.Web.UI.Page.HandleError(Exception e) at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest() at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestWithNoAssert(HttpContext context) at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context) at ASP.default_aspx.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context) at System.Web.HttpApplication.CallHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute() at System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously) --><!-- This error page might contain sensitive information because ASP.NET is configured to show verbose error messages using <customErrors mode="Off"/>. Consider using <customErrors mode="On"/> or <customErrors mode="RemoteOnly"/> in production environments.-->

Tuesday, March 21, 2006 9:55 PM
  • User-275142879 posted

Sorry guys,

I managed to get this to work by checking the typo. However on step 30, after inputting:

SELECT RoleId FROM aspnet_Roles
     WHERE RoleName ="Administrators"

I get the ff error message:

Error -2147217900

Invalid column name 'Administrators'.

Any ideas why i am getting this message. Your help will be deeply apprecatied. Many thanks.

Wednesday, March 22, 2006 12:20 AM
  • User1479750397 posted
    New to all this.  I had the Econ package from GoDaddy.  I assumed that the ClubSite starter would work with that package since there is a link to it!  I don't think it will though.  I upgraded and got it up and working but still have a few kinks to work out.  Mainly problems with converting DBNULLS to strings.
    Wednesday, March 22, 2006 12:42 AM
  • User1532477575 posted

Wow - Thanks for putting the time and effort into this! It helps. I've just signed up for GoDaddy and want to post this template. I've followed the instructions and got to step 26 before I had issues. Since I'm new to this and figured I screwed up, so I tried it twice and got the same problem.

When I try to launch the public site (step 26), It loads but with an application error page. Everything seemed fine until this point. My only (uneducated) guess was that I copied the code from step 19 from this page and pasted 'as-is'. It didn't look like the code it replaced (with the paragraph breaks or anything).

Anyone else have a simular problem? Help! Thanks in advance!

Monday, March 27, 2006 2:38 PM
  • User1923026465 posted

Ok first if you copied step 19 as is, you will have problems.  In the control panel under SQL Databases on GoDaddy's website you can get what your connection string should be...

You need to update you connection string

connectionString="server=whsql-v04.prod.mesa1.secureserver.net;  <---- You need your assigned server here...

database=DB_12345; <------ You need your assigned database number here....

uid=myusername; <----- You need your user name for the database you created here....

pwd=mypassword" <------ You need you password here....

After you update this, if you still get and error, you need to turn on debugging so you can give us more detail...

Hope this helps...

Monday, March 27, 2006 6:23 PM
  • User-817551372 posted
    I did all that was mentioned as in but I cant login , the site looks fine but it keeps comming up failed to login I looked in the SQL db and theres no users setup.. I can tell wether Im actually connected or not.
    Monday, March 27, 2006 8:14 PM
  • User-612598547 posted

Did you create an account on your website first then run the SQL Queries from the last few steps?  Those steps are specifically designed to take a "normal" login created on your active site and convert it to an administrator account.

It sounds like that's the part you're missing.

BoosterMan

Wednesday, March 29, 2006 11:37 PM
  • User1532477575 posted

Hackney - Thanks! I'm embarassed to admit it, but that was the problem... Oops...

I've got the site up and running, but am having the same problem that harrykp listed a few post before this:

Error -2147217900

I tried to manually browse the tables that are mentioned in the query and copied the UserId and RoleID and tried to created the INSERT INTO in both the query analyzer and to create the new role in the UserInRoles table. Both seemed to have access issues.

Thoughts?

Thursday, March 30, 2006 12:26 PM
  • User1923026465 posted

Ok the reason you are getting that is because in you web.config file you are restricting pages by role.  i.e. 

<location path="events_edit.aspx">
        <system.web>
          <authorization>
            <allow roles="Administrators"/>
            <deny users="*"/>
          </authorization>
        </system.web>
      </location>

Because you have "Administrators" listed in all these similar listings the web.config you are getting this error.  To remmedy this you need to do a couple of things.  First temporarally remove this code from the web.config file or comment them out.  After you do that the site will load, however it will never give you the option to add postings.  After you get the site to load you still need to create the role(s) and some users.  To do this I would use MaineOne's wonderfull contribution found in more detail at this posting; http://forums.asp.net/thread/1219931.aspx.  If use is administration pages you can create the roles, register members, then assign them to the roles.  Then you are well on your way.  Add the code back into your web.config file or uncomment them and everything should work as you would expect.

Hope this helps you...

Thursday, March 30, 2006 3:00 PM
  • User-1093854538 posted

SMTP problem on GoDaddy

I can NOT send email from GoDaddy and they are useless from tech support, this Forum is great and the only reason I am able to run this site at all.

web.config =

<system.net>
        <defaultProxy>
          <proxy usesystemdefault="False" proxyaddress="http://wc-v01.inet.mesa1.gdg:3128"      bypassonlocal="False" />
        </defaultProxy>
      </system.net>

<system.net>
        <mailSettings>
          <smtp deliveryMethod="Network" from="dan@myemail.com">
            <network
              host="smtpout.secureserver.net"
              port="25"
            />
          </smtp>
        </mailSettings>
      </system.net>

do I need 2 system.net sections or is this my problem?

error is

Server Error in '/Members' Application.

Mailbox name not allowed. The server response was: Sorry, that domain isn't in my list of allowed rcpthosts.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.Net.Mail.SmtpFailedRecipientException: Mailbox name not allowed. The server response was: Sorry, that domain isn't in my list of allowed rcpthosts.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[SmtpFailedRecipientException: Mailbox name not allowed. The server response was: Sorry, that domain isn't in my list of allowed rcpthosts.]
       System.Net.Mail.SmtpTransport.SendMail(MailAddress sender, MailAddressCollection recipients, String deliveryNotify, SmtpFailedRecipientException& exception) +800243
       System.Net.Mail.SmtpClient.Send(MailMessage message) +2004
       System.Web.UI.WebControls.LoginUtil.SendPasswordMail(String email, String userName, String password, MailDefinition mailDefinition, String defaultSubject, String defaultBody, OnSendingMailDelegate onSendingMailDelegate, OnSendMailErrorDelegate onSendMailErrorDelegate, Control owner) +341
       System.Web.UI.WebControls.PasswordRecovery.AttemptSendPasswordQuestionView() +653
       System.Web.UI.WebControls.PasswordRecovery.AttemptSendPassword() +66
       System.Web.UI.WebControls.PasswordRecovery.OnBubbleEvent(Object source, EventArgs e) +101
       System.Web.UI.Control.RaiseBubbleEvent(Object source, EventArgs args) +35
       System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.OnCommand(CommandEventArgs e) +115
       System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument) +163
       System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.System.Web.UI.IPostBackEventHandler.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument) +7
       System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(IPostBackEventHandler sourceControl, String eventArgument) +11
       System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(NameValueCollection postData) +33
       System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +5102

Saturday, April 8, 2006 6:31 PM
  • User2069888697 posted
    looks like your port setting is wrong 25 is default but I believe godaddy requires a different value.  I f I can remeber right its 80 or 3535.
    Sunday, April 9, 2006 9:24 AM
  • User1197483739 posted

First... big kudo's to the walkthrough.  Got me going the first time I tried it.  Thx... wish GoDaddy would make it easier than it is.   Now, I've started from square one developing my site, and will then push it to the server.  My question:

#1)  How do I "dumb down" the password restriction that requires a non-alphanumeric character?  The users that will be accessing my site will have a hard enough time logging in... I want to make it pretty easy on them without making it non-secure?

#2) When a user DOES forget his/her password, how do I (as the admin) recover the password for them?  Is there an Admin toolkit or something that will allow this?

#3) It appears all the site must be done, and then pushed to the server.  Is there a way to access the ASP.NET Configuration file once it has been uploaded to the FTP server? 

Thanks for your patience... I'm new to all this, and so far, it's been a BIG learning experience.

Wednesday, April 12, 2006 3:54 PM
  • User1923026465 posted

Ok.

1. This posting will help you with that; http://www.wwwcoder.com/main/parentid/258/site/5221/68/default.aspx

2.  What happens is they are ask a secret question that they had to make up when they registered, if they answer it correctly they are sent a temporary system made password.  They then can log in and they will have to change there password to something they want.

3.  The whole site does not need to be done.  You cannot access the ASP.net configuration on GoDaddy's servers.  For user administration you will have to use MaineOne's admin tools listed earlier in this string (unless you write your own).  Everything else can be changed in the web.config file.  What I do is have two web.config files.  One on GoDaddy's servers setup the way the db string need to be setup there, and one on my local machine.  That way I can develop on my laptop, and once I know it is working, I build the site, and push the pages I changed up to the GoDaddy site.  I never overwrite the web.config file on GoDaddy's server unless I know I made a change.

Thursday, April 13, 2006 1:14 PM
  • User1197483739 posted

Ok.

1. This posting will help you with that; http://www.wwwcoder.com/main/parentid/258/site/5221/68/default.aspx

Thanks... I'll check that out.

2.  What happens is they are ask a secret question that they had to make up when they registered, if they answer it correctly they are sent a temporary system made password.  They then can log in and they will have to change there password to something they want.

OK.  I kind of assummed that, but was curious.  I'm sure I'll have some of these boneheads that will forget their secret answer, but they'll just have to create a new user account. :-)

3.  The whole site does not need to be done.  You cannot access the ASP.net configuration on GoDaddy's servers.  For user administration you will have to use MaineOne's admin tools listed earlier in this string (unless you write your own).  Everything else can be changed in the web.config file.  What I do is have two web.config files.  One on GoDaddy's servers setup the way the db string need to be setup there, and one on my local machine.  That way I can develop on my laptop, and once I know it is working, I build the site, and push the pages I changed up to the GoDaddy site.  I never overwrite the web.config file on GoDaddy's server unless I know I made a change.

Ahhh... that's good info.  Never thought about having a seperate web.config file... makes total sense.  Another reason I enjoy this forum... lots of good info here.

Thanks for your help.

Thursday, April 13, 2006 1:41 PM
  • User289865103 posted

BoosterMan - MAJOR kudos to you sir for creating such a thorough walkthrough!  It took my slow dumb self a while to walk through it step by step, but I was SHOCKED to see that it actually worked correctly the first time!!  Well...except for the user name/role stuff (not sure why that didn't work

hackneys - Thank you as well for the suggestions posted above, as well as the link to aspSKsolutions!

My next question involves maintaining this site.  Is there any way to set up VWD to work on a local copy when I want to just make a quick edit?  Or would I need to go through a good chunk of the original steps again and basically undo a lot of stuff?  I went through the steps to extend the kit as posted on http://msdn.microsoft.com/asp.net/default.aspx?pull=/library/en-us/dnaspp/html/extendclubwebsitesk.asp, and I'm now having problems w/ the Docs stuff.  I don't expect to have to modify the DB tables, just the syntax of the page.

Saturday, April 15, 2006 11:46 PM
  • User1197483739 posted

I am having the same issue.  Here is what I get when I attempt to do the INSERT INTO command:

Error -2147217900

Syntax error or access violation

INSERT INTO aspnet_UserInRoles (RoleId, UserId) Values ({0A4E9A78-24AF-4CF3-93C7-1F52FC46AFA1}, {BBEA9AD2-47D5-4187-B6A8-9883E699D5D3})

Now, my code may be wrong, and feel free to correct me, PLEASE.  But, I've tried every combination I can think of, and am having no luck.

Furthermore, I downloaded the utility from MaineOne, and to be honest, it was very confusing to me on how to get that utility working.  Is there some way around this that I can just add the necessary records to the DB?  I only  have 3 users to give Admin rights too.

Thanks.

Wednesday, April 26, 2006 3:59 PM
  • User1197483739 posted

Furthermore, I worked my way in to where I could manually put in the RoleId and the UserId, and I got this response:

Error -2147217900

Syntax error or access violation

INSERT INTO [DB_57846].[dbo].[aspnet_UsersInRoles] ([UserId], [RoleId]) VALUES ({BBEA9AD2-47D5-4187-B6A8-9883E699D5D3}, {0A4E9A78-24AF-4CF3-93C7-1F52FC46AFA1})

Thanks.

Wednesday, April 26, 2006 4:22 PM
  • User2069888697 posted
    If you are having trouble with the Admin pages drop me an email, I will help in any way I can. Admin@aspsksolutions.com
    Wednesday, April 26, 2006 5:02 PM
  • User1511882133 posted

Here is the correct syntax for the issue above:

INSERT INTO aspnet_UsersInRoles (RoleId, UserId) VALUES ('BBEA9AD2-47D5-4187-B6A8-9883E699D5D3', '0A4E9A78-24AF-4CF3-93C7-1F52FC46AFA1')

If you copy and paste that, this should clear up your problem

Wednesday, April 26, 2006 11:19 PM
  • User1511882133 posted

This is a result of a typo:  Here is the correct syntax:

SELECT RoleId FROM aspnet_Roles WHERE RoleName = 'Administrators'

Hope this help,

Steve

Wednesday, April 26, 2006 11:20 PM
  • User1511882133 posted

First, Thank you for the excellent post, great job.  It helped me tremendously.  Thank you again.  Below I have modified your script to help us "noobs" out and fix a couple of typos

1. Create your site locally.  Include AT LEAST 1 local admin account.
       2. Run site using CTRL-F5.
       3. Log into your GoDaddy hosting account and open the control panel.
       4. Click on ASP.Net runtime and select 2.0
       5. Click Databases > SQL Server > Create New Database.
       6. Select
             1. Check DSN (optional?)
             2. Enter UserName (this will become the database name NOT your hosting login)
             3. Enter Password (again, database password NOT hosting password)
             4. Check "Install Schema Features"
       7. Click Continue > Create Database (it WILL take some time for the database to create itself, you can refresh by clicking the SQL button in the left menu)
       8. Once setup finishes, Click Pencil icon under actions > print this page.
       9. Click Computer icon under actions > record the SQL Connection (.NET) strings
      10. Click Open Manager
      11. Click Connection > Enter the Username and Password from 6 above.
      12. Once connected, expand Tools menu > Click Query Analyzer
      13. Cut & Paste all text from club-add.sql into the Query Analyzer window

14. Click Submit (you should see many "command(s) completed successfully" below)

15. Go back to VWD and edit default.aspx
      16. Go to Edit > Find & Replace > Quick Replace
             1. Find dbo. (NOT Dbo. big difference)
             2. Replace with <blank> (nothing, nada, zip, zero)
             3. Look in: Current Document
      17. Click Replace All (should be 12 or more) > Save default.aspx
      18. Repeat steps 16 & 17 for:
             1. Events_Edit.aspx
             2. Events_View.aspx
      19. Open web.config
             1. Replace original text

<add name="ClubSiteDB" connectionString="Data Source=.\SQLExpress;

Integrated Security=true;

AttachDBFileName=|DataDirectory|Club.mdf;

With new text

<add name="ClubSiteDB" providerName="System.Data.SqlClient"

connectionString="server=whsql-v04.prod.mesa1.secureserver.net;

database=DB_12345;

uid=myusername;

pwd=mypassword"/>

<add name="LocalSqlServer" providerName="System.Data.SqlClient"

database=DB_12345;

uid=myusername;

pwd=mypassword"/>

Change <customErrors mode="Off" /> (optional)

Save!!!

Run CTRL-F5 again.  (it will bring up a window with a server error, what you want is to look in the lower left corner of the VWD window for "Build Successful")

Click Website > Copy Web Site > Connect

Input your hosting username and password (NOT you database uid and pwd)

Highlight all files from the left side and click right arrow to transfer.

*   Go to your public website and create an account for each admin you created on your local database.  (make sure the usernames and passwords are the same!!!)

Log back into Query Analyzer
      28. To Grant Administrator Privileges to an ASP.NET 2.0 User Account

1. Log in to your Account Manager.
       2. Under the Hosting & Email section, select Hosting Account List.
       3. Next to the hosting account you want to modify, click Open.
       4. Under the Databases section of the Hosting Manager, click the SQL Server icon.
       5. Next to the name of your SQL Server database, click Open Manager. The SQL Server Web Admin tool displays.
       6. In the tree on the left, expand the Connection folder and select Connection.
       7. Enter the User Name and Password for your database. You created your user name and password when you set up your SQL server database.
       8. Expand the Tools folder on the left and select Query Analyser.
       9. Copy the following T-SQL statement into the Query Analyser window:

SELECT RoleId FROM aspnet_Roles WHERE RoleName = 'Administrators'

Click Submit and save the return value for use in step 11. Click Reset.
      10. Copy the following T-SQL statement into the Query Analyser window:

SELECT UserId FROM aspnet_Users WHERE UserName="username"

Replace <username> with the user name of the account to which administrator privileges will be granted. Retain the single quotation marks around this case-sensitive value. Click Submit and save the return value for use in step 11. Click Reset.
      11. Copy the following T-SQL statement into the Query Analyser window:

INSERT INTO aspnet_UsersInRoles (RoleId, UserId) VALUES ('<roleID>', '<userID>')
    EXAMPLE: INSERT INTO aspnet_UsersInRoles (RoleId, UserId) VALUES ('7321ED9B-64FB-47C2-B139-2AF810678D59', 'E421C366-2905-40FC-8543-0AA618FEE17E')

Replace <roleID> with the return value from step 9. Replace <userID> with the return value from step 10. Retain the single quotation marks around these values. Click Submit.

Thanks again to BoosterMan, and all those who made this walkthrough possible.  Great Job and keep up the good work

Wednesday, April 26, 2006 11:33 PM
  • User1197483739 posted

Thank you, thank you, thank you.  Yes, I'm a noob, and was typing the wrong syntax.  Thanks so much for the clarification... that seemed to resolve my issue.

Thanks again.

Thursday, April 27, 2006 9:47 AM
  • User1511882133 posted
    Your not alone, so am I.  I was going around in circles, the walkthrough was really well done, until I hit that spot.  So thankfully to Google and a couple of other websites I was able to piece together what was wrong.
    Thursday, April 27, 2006 6:44 PM
  • User-391647159 posted

Boosterman;

You have truly created a good step by step guide.  Unforntualy, I am stuck  I have completed up to step 26.  When I try to go to my website (http://www.africa4jesus.org/club/)  I get an error message. 

Description: An error occurred during the compilation of a resource required to service this request. Please review the following specific error details and modify your source code appropriately.

Compiler Error Message: CS0103: The name 'SharedRoutines' does not exist in the current context

Source Error:

Line 136:                            </h3>
    Line 137:                            <p>
    Line 138:                                <asp:Label ID="Label2" runat="server" Text='<%# SharedRoutines.truncate((string)Eval("description")) %>' />
    Line 139:                                <a href='<%# "News_View.aspx?Articleid=" + Convert.ToString(Eval("ID")) %>'>read more &raquo;</a>
    Line 140:                            </p>

I hope you can help.  I don't understand why "The name 'SharedRoutines' does not exist in the current context".

Monday, May 1, 2006 9:57 PM
  • User-581452822 posted

I have follow all the instructions step by step but when I go to see the site on step 26,

I got the error page check here: http://www.kovnat.com

My host company is http://www.UnicoDomian.com

and same rules applies, because this one is one of the many reseller's sites that is under the reseller plan

that offer the company mention on step 3. I just find out.

Kovnat.com

Thursday, May 4, 2006 4:12 AM
  • User-581452822 posted

I have follow all the instructions step by step but when I go to see the site on step 26,

I got the error page check here: http://www.kovnat.com

My host company is http://www.UnicoDomian.com

and same rules applies, because this one is one of the many reseller's sites that is under the reseller plan

that offer the company mention on step 3. I just find out.

Please email me with the answers at Mailto: kovnat@kovnat.com

Thank you for your help in advanced!....

Kovnat.com

Thursday, May 4, 2006 4:13 AM
  • User257004524 posted
    Hello, friends:

Thanks for your help!

I have aother question:

Assume I have added my own tables into club DB at local (in fact I have added my own tables into my personal web starter kit), but I added those tables by MS 2005 visual studio IDE (I mean I did not add codes in personal-add.sql or club-add.sql for those my own tables,  just used 'server explorer' to add new tables.  ), then if I only"cut & Paste all text from club-add.sql into the Query Analyzer window" and run it, I will not get my own tables, right?

So, how can I do? Do I need add creating talbes code in ???-add.sql file? but I don't know SQL scripts well. Is there any other way to resolve my problem?

Thanks!
    Saturday, May 27, 2006 1:13 PM
  • User-100101074 posted

Ok, to answer my own question one, to solve the problem with email settings at GoDaddy, ad the following to the web.config file;

<system.net>
        <defaultProxy>
          <proxy usesystemdefault="False"      proxyaddress="http://wc-v01.inet.mesa1.gdg:3128"      bypassonlocal="False" />
        </defaultProxy>
      </system.net>

<system.net>
          <mailSettings>
            <smtp deliveryMethod="network" from="youemail@yourhost.com">
              <network
                host="relay-hosting.secureserver.net"
                port="25"
            />
            </smtp>
          </mailSettings>
        </system.net>

Enjoy...

Shane L. Hackney

Thanks Shane!  I spent all night trying to figure this out using my godaddy host!  Works great!!

Thursday, November 9, 2006 11:17 PM
  • User417371962 posted

Thanks BoosterMan and all others that contributed to this thread.  I was tearing my hair out trying to get my site "live".  I picked GoDaddy based on this thread.  Previously I was using hostmysite.com with no luck.  I'm sure that hoster would work... but I couldn't figure it out.  The instructions provided by BoosterMan will work for the Personal Web Site starter kit although they were originally written for the club site.

Really, GoDaddy should be paying you a fee and posting this on their website! 

Thanks again,

Dave

Wednesday, December 27, 2006 3:05 PM
  • User599935855 posted

When I submit select * from aspnet_roles in the godaddy query analyzer I don't get back any rows.  I'm trying to publish my own site not the club site.  Do I have to create the Administrator role and then follow the rest of the steps?  I've created an account through my site but I'm not sure what to do next since I'm not seeing any roles in my aspnet_roles table.  Any ideas?

Thanks

Amit

Thursday, December 28, 2006 6:03 AM
  • User75903138 posted

I'm stuck at step number 28. When I copy and paste:

SELECT RoleId FROM aspnet_Roles WHERE RoleName="Administrators"

into the Query Analyser, I get the following error:

Error Error -2147217900
    Error Error -2147217900

SELECT RoleId FROM aspnet_Roles WHERE RoleName="Administrators"

What exactly did I do wrong?

Monday, January 15, 2007 1:07 PM
  • User75903138 posted
    Never mind I got it to work. Thanks
    Monday, January 15, 2007 1:24 PM
  • User1928250347 posted

I've used the Walkthrough myself and everything worked migically. One little correction at step 28--Administrators should be sourrounded by single quotes not double quotes. Other than that...hats down BoosterMan.

post scriptum: would I be able to publish the Personal site starter kit using the same instructions? I am mostly worried about the find an replace part.

Tuesday, January 16, 2007 7:52 PM
  • User-1254660837 posted

I just followed all the steps to get my website up and running.  No problems there.  The website it running fine.  I cannot login though.  I created admin locally and then and then went to public website and created an account, and then followed the steps to grant admin privileges, but I still cannot login.  It tells me loging failed.  Any ideas?

Also, I have a page that I will be updated frequently (daily) and I will need to publish only this page.  Is there a way to do this?  It seems that when I open Copy Website and connect everything is listed as new on source and remote with question marks next to them.  It goes through the process of uploading but it never seems to finish.  The progress bars disappear but it says it is still uploading and I cannot click anything, and I have to close it out and it doesn't seem like anything is being updated.  Any ideas what is wrong here.  I am new to this and trying to get this working!!

Tuesday, January 23, 2007 3:59 PM
  • User-1601355608 posted

I am encountering the same problem - Can I ask you what you did to fix it? What typo did you fixed?

Thank you,

dpr

Thursday, January 25, 2007 11:07 PM
  • User-68478002 posted

Well first, thanks for this post.  I know I'm late to the game here, but I just set my site up with GoDaddy, and this was a life saver.

I would highly suggest using either Dreamweaver or another FTP like Cute to upload your files to GoDaddy.  I originally setup my site as a FTP connection and every time you edit the page, switch views, anything it reloads the whole site. To the posters above, If you follow the steps on the first page from with in the DB manager, you can create your admin accounts, but to log in you need to be approved.  In the asp.net_memberships table, there's a bit field called IsApproved, it must be checked to login obviously.

I am also relatively new to using .NET apps, can someone with experience tell me.  How do you approve users without going into the DB?  Or is that something we would have to create, ie. another admin page like the photos page?

Tuesday, January 30, 2007 11:49 PM
  • User523970105 posted

Well first, thanks for this post.  I know I'm late to the game here, but I just set my site up with GoDaddy, and this was a life saver.

I would highly suggest using either Dreamweaver or another FTP like Cute to upload your files to GoDaddy.  I originally setup my site as a FTP connection and every time you edit the page, switch views, anything it reloads the whole site. To the posters above, If you follow the steps on the first page from with in the DB manager, you can create your admin accounts, but to log in you need to be approved.  In the asp.net_memberships table, there's a bit field called IsApproved, it must be checked to login obviously.

I am also relatively new to using .NET apps, can someone with experience tell me.  How do you approve users without going into the DB?  Or is that something we would have to create, ie. another admin page like the photos page?

A complete user admin package for the club web site has already been created.  Unfortunately, it's not available at the moment because the author is working on a new version.  The author's site is www.aspsksolutions.com.  I think that the new version will be released soon.

Wednesday, January 31, 2007 8:25 AM
  • User2069888697 posted

New version will be available as soon as i finish the setup instructions.  The one issue I still need to address is the sql scripts.  It seems the ones I create using my SQL2000 do not work on every query analizer.  I probably will write up how to manually create tables and stored procedures for those who have difficulty's. Time is the biggest factor, but I hope to have the upgrade version released by tommorrow and the New User version by Monday.  The new version will be free, as my site is now self supporting, thanks to all of you.

Wednesday, January 31, 2007 10:40 AM
  • User-1254660837 posted
    Are you saying that you have to approve everyone that creates an account or is that just for administrators?  Thank you.
    Wednesday, January 31, 2007 11:32 AM
  • User523970105 posted

Are you saying that you have to approve everyone that creates an account or is that just for administrators?  Thank you.

The above mentioned package allows you, as site administrator, to configure how new accounts are approved.  Options are automatic approval, email verification, or administrator approval.

Wednesday, January 31, 2007 4:43 PM
  • User523970105 posted

The above mentioned package allows you, as site administrator, to configure how new accounts are approved.  Options are automatic approval, email verification, or administrator approval.

Wednesday, January 31, 2007 4:43 PM
  • User1225210238 posted

Okay so I'm kind of new at all of this. I followed all of the steps and got my site up and connected to the DB (thanks to everyone by the way). The problem is that I removed all of the member registration parts of the site b/c I only want one admin. I tried manually inserting an admin into Go Daddy's tables but was unsuccessful. Can anyone help me created an Admin role manually????

Thanks!  

Monday, March 19, 2007 9:31 PM
  • User-350628433 posted

I'm sure the last thing everyone needs is another dumb question. But.

I'm running SQL Server Express 05 and have already built a simple database. After subscribing to GoDaddy (Windows this time, I've had PHP), I found this site useful.

Now, there are constant references to this "personal-add.sql" on the GoDaddy help site. But My SQL Server doesn't generate any such files. I've tried to use SQL Server Express to Script the database as a new file, then send that text thru the godaddy query, but no luck!!

Any ideas?

Sunday, April 1, 2007 7:55 AM
  • User1407763223 posted

Hi ican you help me?

my site is a modified starter kit club site and would like to host it on godaddy, i followed the walktrough to number 26 but when i fisit my site public i get these errors

http://www.thewoodfloorstore.me.uk/roc

does i make a differance that it is in a subfolder other than in the root folder?

i know also it was ok to get a server error when preview on local after updating the web config file but is this correct.

Parser Error Message: The configuration section cannot contain a CDATA or text element.

Source Error:  

Line 58:          database=DB_12345;
    Line 59:          uid=myusername;
    Line 60:          pwd=mypassword"/>
    Line 61: Change <customErrors mode="Off" /> (optional)
    Line 62:   </connectionStrings>

Tuesday, April 3, 2007 4:16 PM
  • User1407763223 posted

Hi can you help me?

my site is a modified starter kit club site and would like to host it on godaddy, i followed the walktrough to number 26 but when i fisit my site public i get these errors

http://www.thewoodfloorstore.me.uk/roc

does i make a differance that it is in a subfolder other than in the root folder?

i know also it was ok to get a server error when preview on local after updating the web config file but is this correct.

Parser Error Message: The configuration section cannot contain a CDATA or text element.

Source Error:  

Line 58:          database=DB_12345;
    Line 59:          uid=myusername;
    Line 60:          pwd=mypassword"/>
    Line 61: Change <customErrors mode="Off" /> (optional)
    Line 62:   </connectionStrings>

Tuesday, April 3, 2007 4:18 PM
  • User778720938 posted

This all looks very comprehensive and understandable.  I only have one issue and that is at the very beginning line 1. says create site locally and include at least 1 admin account. 

and then step 2 says run site using cnt+fr5.  The site is already created and can be edited by visual studio.  How do I include "at least 1 admin acount?

Friday, April 20, 2007 2:13 AM
  • User289658449 posted

There's so many things in a web.config file, that you change from time to time, you may want to separate your connection strings into a separate file for test and production.

I use the following in my web.config file in the root directory:

<connectionStrings configSource="ChristDB.config" /> 

Then I add another file, called ChristDB.config that looks like this

<connectionStrings>

<clear />

<add name="LocalSqlServer" connectionString="Data Source=.\SQLExpress;Integrated Security=True;User Instance=True;AttachDBFilename=|DataDirectory|whateveryourfilenameis.mdf" />

<!-- The above line is the string for your test system if SQL 2005 or your production system on goDaddy. -->

</connectionStrings>

That way, if I make other changes to the web.config file, it can be uploaded without overwriting the connection string information.

Friday, July 6, 2007 5:54 PM
  • User1145033923 posted

If you get the following error message:

Mailbox name not allowed. The server response was: Sorry, that domain isn't in my list of allowed rcpthosts.

This article should help you solve the problem with Godaddy.
    http://www.sitesbuilders.com/Articles/Godaddy-Smtp.aspx

Good Luck

Saturday, July 28, 2007 6:59 AM
  • User2000013726 posted

If you are storing photos outside the database using the Club Site Extensions Kit into a folder called Photos, do you need to set any special permissions from the GoDaddy side?

Thanks,
    Johnson

Sunday, August 19, 2007 9:55 PM
  • User523970105 posted

If you are storing photos outside the database using the Club Site Extensions Kit into a folder called Photos, do you need to set any special permissions from the GoDaddy side?

Thanks,
    Johnson

You need to create the folder using GoDaddy's Hosting Control Center (under Content -> Directory Management) and select Read and Write permissions.

Sunday, August 19, 2007 11:00 PM
  • User2000013726 posted

Hi Typhoid,

Thanks for the quick reply.  I will set the Read and Write permissions on the folder.

Johnson

Monday, August 20, 2007 1:43 AM
  • User205197355 posted

Thanks BoosterMan, I just waisted a whole weekend trying to get my site up and all I can get is my Error.htm page to show. I did not change the starter kit much just esthetics. I will try again first thing tomorrow with your step by step.

I can't beleive Godaddy support told me that my site was bombing because they don't support .aspx pages!...only asp, htm.

A really stupid question: does it matter what you call the database you create on GoDaddy, ie does it need to be called Club.mdf like the starter kit? and if so, how/where do I need to update references to the database name?

Monday, August 20, 2007 4:18 AM
  • User205197355 posted

HI Shane

what does this proxyaddress="http://wc-v01.inet.mesa1.gdg:3128"  stand for? My host server name at Godaddy?

Thanks.

Monday, August 20, 2007 4:50 PM
  • User-1516338612 posted

I can't beleive Godaddy support told me that my site was bombing because they don't support .aspx pages!...only asp, htm.

A really stupid question: does it matter what you call the database you create on GoDaddy, ie does it need to be called Club.mdf like the starter kit? and if so, how/where do I need to update references to the database name?

I can't believe they told you that either [:'(]

No, the database does not need to be called club.mdf. Call it something else and change the connection string details in your web.config file to point at the different database name (and server, user id, password etc).

Monday, August 20, 2007 7:24 PM
  • User205197355 posted

I found out the hard way Godaddy support does not get at all involved in anything beyond selling you the service and getting you logged in, can't really blame them though... Thank God for all the help you all are providing. My site is up but not working when I click on Membership. I was using your step by step instructions and I am adding some hints and notes for those of us that need things very explicit (deuh!). (I will share with everyone once I am done. )

For example: On line 9 "Click on Computer icon under Actions> record the SQL connection (.NET) stings"...I could not find a computer icon, was this on my Hosting account page or on V.W.D.?

Also on line 26 "Go to your Website and create an account for each admin you created..." I am unable to loggin on the published website with the admin account I created internally. Did I miss a step to upload  the Admin account I created locally?

I promise to re read instruction lines from 26-30 I am sure it is all there...

Can't thank you enough for getting me so far!

Monday, August 20, 2007 11:35 PM
  • User205197355 posted

I re read the steps and still cannot login to the public website.

Any help re the following 2 steps:

On line 9 "Click on Computer icon under Actions> record the SQL connection (.NET) stings"...I could not find a computer icon, was this on my Hosting account page or on V.W.D.?

Also on line 26 "Go to your Website and create an account for each admin you created..." I am unable to loggin on the published website with the admin account I created internally. Did I miss a step to upload  the Admin account I created locally?

Thanks

Tuesday, August 21, 2007 9:25 PM
  • User289658449 posted

On your step 9, I think GoDaddy updated its control panel a little.  Log in to your GoDaddy account, select My Hosting Account, then DataBases / SQL Server to list your database(s).  That's where the pencil Icon is on the right side of the page.  Once you select this, there are several icons across the top of the panel like backup, restore, description, password, CONFIGURATION, dsn and asp schema.  This is where you get the connection string you need for your web.config file.

If, instead of selecting the pencil icon for your database, you select the link (Open Manager), you will be able to connect to your database (presuming you've remembered your login and password).

You then navigate down the connection to your database and then to the tables in your database.  The second table is aspnet_Membership.  You can open it by selecting the third icon from the right site of the page.  Select the pencil Icon for the record you want to change - hopefully it is the only one in the table.  A form is displayed for you to change.  Make sure the IsApproved box is checked (I wouldn't change any other field).

By using the connection string you should be able to log on as administrator. 

Good Luck

Wednesday, August 22, 2007 5:33 AM
  • User289658449 posted

Certain portions of the web.config must be in the root folder of a website.  This includes the configuration string as well as the membership, roles and pages tags.  You can have other web.config files in subfolders, but not with all the tags.

If you want the same membership provider across all your sub-folders that require credentials, it will work with those tags in the root folder.

Good luck

Wednesday, August 22, 2007 5:38 AM
  • User289658449 posted

The login control used on the login web page has an option for creating an account.  Use that to create the administrator account, then go to your GoDaddy account, navigate to the aspnet_Membership table and mark the IsEnabled box for the record you created.

Wednesday, August 22, 2007 5:42 AM
  • User1932589091 posted

Use ' not "

Tim Stover

Saturday, June 21, 2008 11:52 PM
  • User1932589091 posted

Ok to add Admin locally In VWD, click website, click asp.net configuration and create administrator in the asp.net configuration page. When you close that page VWD will ask if you want to save the changes made, click yes.

Monday, June 23, 2008 11:40 AM
  • User1932589091 posted

Everything in this statement makes no sense

Monday, June 23, 2008 11:58 AM
  • User1932589091 posted

That might work, but if you have a much more sophisticted SQL database, do this

Open your "Creatalltables.sql" or whatever it's named in your club kit, replace all "dbo" with the godaddy sql database login name.

Execute query and you've created all tables. 

1.Then SELECT RoleId FROM aspnet_Roles WHERE RoleName = 'Administrators'

Click Submit and save the return value

2.Copy the following T-SQL statement into the Query Analyzer window:
    SELECT UserId FROM aspnet_Users WHERE UserName = '<username>'

Replace <username> with the user name of the account to which administrator privileges will be granted.

Click Submit and save the return value

Copy the following T-SQL statement into the Query Analyser window:
    INSERT INTO aspnet_UsersInRoles (RoleId, UserId) VALUES ('<roleID>', '<userID>')

Replace <roleID> with the return value from step 1. Replace <userID> with the return value from step 2.

Click Submit

You're now admin

Monday, June 23, 2008 12:32 PM
  • User1837679455 posted

For this step i'm gettin really confused. With the replaced text, do i have to put my public website information for the ClubSiteDB? I'm not sure which one to modify and which one stays default. or just what to modify in general. can someone put their modifed replaced example with a fictitious public website? Would really appreciate it. Thanks for the walkthru btw!

1. Replace original text
      1. <add name="ClubSiteDB" connectionString="Data Source=.\SQLExpress;
              Integrated Security=true;
              AttachDBFileName=|DataDirectory|Club.mdf;

2. With new text

1. <add name="ClubSiteDB" providerName="System.Data.SqlClient"
              database=DB_12345;
              uid=myusername;
              pwd=mypassword"/>

<add name="LocalSqlServer" providerName="System.Data.SqlClient"
              database=DB_12345;
              uid=myusername;
              pwd=mypassword"/>

Friday, August 22, 2008 8:15 PM
  • User1837679455 posted

Also. I've tried redoing these steps over and over. and something that is tripping me up is when i do the club-add sql query. It won't add the other tables like asp_UserInRoles table. I don't see it at all especially in the sql statement. The first time it worked, but then i backed up my SQL Server DB and tried it again, and don't see it anymore.

Pls help. I feel i'm just tryin' way too hard then is needed. and it sucks to be an MIS Grad and struggle with this.

Friday, August 22, 2008 8:17 PM
  • User1932589091 posted

Ok You posted a question about connection strings to a posting concerning granting admin rights in the SQL databse. Here's how to do your web.config file connection strings

<connectionStrings>
    <add name="ClubSiteDB" connectionString="Data Source=pswhsql-v.shr.phx.secureserver.net;Initial Catalog=XXXXXX;User ID=XXXXXX;Password=XXXXX;Trusted_Connection=False" providerName="System.Data.SqlClient" />
    <remove name="LocalSqlServer" />
    <add name="LocalSqlServer" connectionString="Data Source=pswhsql-v.shr.phx.secureserver.net;Initial Catalog=XXXXXX;User ID=XXXXX;Password=XXXXX;Trusted_Connection=False" providerName="System.Data.SqlClient" />
    </connectionStrings>

Godaddy sucks in a huge way, you'll need to jump thru hoops to grant Admin in the SQL database.

I've jumped thru all godaddy's hoops and have managed to get all my sites working

in spite of godaddy being a bunch of near do wells. I feel bad for people who've signed up with godaddy

thinking they actually got a discount  server host when really it's a bait and switch.

Good luck

Saturday, August 23, 2008 2:19 PM
  • User1932589091 posted

Create your tables then do this:

exec aspnet_Roles_CreateRole '/', 'Administrator'

Saturday, August 23, 2008 2:38 PM
  • User-319574463 posted

Godaddy sucks in a huge way, you'll need to jump thru hoops to grant Admin in the SQL database.
    I've jumped thru all godaddy's hoops and have managed to get all my sites working
    in spite of godaddy being a bunch of near do wells. I feel bad for people who've signed up with godaddy
    thinking they actually got a discount  server host when really it's a bait and switch.

I hope you can find time to write an FAQ for those using GoDaddy. From the many posts I have seen concerning problems with hosting at GoDaddy, such an FAQ would be greatly appreciated.

Saturday, August 23, 2008 2:49 PM
  • User1932589091 posted

Where is the FAQ section?

Saturday, August 23, 2008 4:59 PM
  • User-319574463 posted

You will not be able to post directly to the FAQ, so I suggest that you start with a post to http://forums.asp.net/158.aspx

Eventually the FAQ moderator will see the value of the thread and move it to the FAQ forum.

Sunday, August 24, 2008 9:41 AM
  • User-1514766816 posted

when I do my last query, trying to get admin role for a few users, I enter this,

INSERT INTO aspnet_UsersInRoles (RoleId, UserId) VALUES ('110c5802-bc08-4e09-9263-97263ca8d44b', '110c5802-bc08-4e09-9263-97263ca8d44b')

and get this error,

The INSERT statement conflicted with the FOREIGN KEY constraint "FK__aspnet_Us__UserI__37A5467C". The conflict occurred in database "dbname", table "dbo.aspnet_Users", column 'UserId'. The statement has been terminated.

Friday, November 7, 2008 12:54 PM
  • User1932589091 posted

Yea this is a really big problem that GoDaddy doesn't bother to let thier customers know. It's because you need to execute a query to name a table of your DB name, for instance; If your DB name is spectrum then execute a query and create table "spectrum.aspnet_Users". The easiest way is to open your SQL database in VWD 2008 and find & replace all your "dbo" to your database name. I still have the dbo tables in the database as well.

Good luck

Saturday, November 15, 2008 12:13 PM
  • User-1648712811 posted

Hi,

I have exactly same issue as you have. Hope you would have solved this issue earlier. Can you help me out to solve this?

For Your Note: "I have Windows Server 2003 , And I deployed in this Server's IIS. "

I am waiting for your response. Your help in this would be highly appreciated.

Thursday, March 12, 2009 1:41 AM
  • User403614158 posted

I was able to upload my site and everything is working fine except two things.

1)  Adding a new event to the calendar I am getting the following error:

<title>Security Exception</title><style> body {font-family:"Verdana";font-weight:normal;font-size: .7em;color:black;} p {font-family:"Verdana";font-weight:normal;color:black;margin-top: -5px} b {font-family:"Verdana";font-weight:bold;color:black;margin-top: -5px} H1 { font-family:"Verdana";font-weight:normal;font-size:18pt;color:red } H2 { font-family:"Verdana";font-weight:normal;font-size:14pt;color:maroon } pre {font-family:"Lucida Console";font-size: .9em} .marker {font-weight: bold; color: black;text-decoration: none;} .version {color: gray;} .error {margin-bottom: 10px;} .expandable { text-decoration:underline; font-weight:bold; color:navy; cursor:hand; } </style>Description: The application attempted to perform an operation not allowed by the security policy.  To grant this application the required permission please contact your system administrator or change the application's trust level in the configuration file.

Exception Details: System.Security.SecurityException: Request for the permission of type 'System.Security.Permissions.SecurityPermission, mscorlib, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089' failed.

2) Website settings is not updating.

Did anyone else have problems like this? If so, can someone help me with fixing mine.  I am using the VB version.

THANKS!!!!

Friday, May 22, 2009 1:53 PM
  • User-1648712811 posted

Hi Dude,

It seems you have some issues with your web.config file. You must have valid culture info inside the config file. It should something similar to the below one:

<compilers>
       <compiler language="c#;cs;csharp" extension=".cs" type="Microsoft.CSharp.CSharpCodeProvider,System, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089" warningLevel="4">
        <providerOption name="CompilerVersion" value="v3.5"/>
        <providerOption name="WarnAsError" value="false"/></compiler>
       <compiler language="vb;vbs;visualbasic;vbscript" extension=".vb" type="Microsoft.VisualBasic.VBCodeProvider, System, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089" warningLevel="4">
        <providerOption name="CompilerVersion" value="v3.5"/>
        <providerOption name="OptionInfer" value="true"/>
        <providerOption name="WarnAsError" value="false"/></compiler></compilers> 

add the above insdie the web.config file and try. If doesnt work try for calendar assembly. Just work around your web.config file, you will get it.

Hope it helps!

Friday, May 22, 2009 9:29 PM
  • User1572136347 posted

Thank you, this worked brilliantly!

Thursday, September 22, 2011 10:09 AM
  • User1572136347 posted

Thanks for this, it worked great! (sorry didn't think my other post went through)

Thursday, September 22, 2011 10:11 AM
  • User-187261947 posted

I am actually working on asp.net Technology....
    I have purchased two differenet domain names...from Godaddy.com
    Now i want to upload my website on these domains
    i have uploaded both the websites in different folder on the server directory ..
    suppose first Website folder ABC and second website folder xyz ...

now both the sites contains a file name index.html and default.aspx as a homepage for that site.

so how should i configure it ....

and the problem is how should i configure it on the root directory
    so that when i search on google ..
    my home page should be open .... for each site individually

and how to run my website from root folder as it's show error ..becoz all the other files are uploaded in folder ABC ..

so plz provide a complete solution for the problem.....

Tuesday, February 11, 2014 11:59 AM