none
Connected Services

Question

• I get "Could not load file or assembly Microsoft.VisualStudio.ConnectedServices etc" when I try to exit Visual Studio Conmmunity. VS will not allow me to exit and I have to shut down via Task Manager. I get this error after creating a new project or with an existing project.

I have tried to use the NuGet Package Manager to load the file but this also generates the error:

Attempting to resolve dependencies for package 'Microsoft.VisualStudio.ConnectedServices.2.0.0' with DependencyBehavior 'Lowest'
    Resolving actions to install package 'Microsoft.VisualStudio.ConnectedServices.2.0.0'
    Resolved actions to install package 'Microsoft.VisualStudio.ConnectedServices.2.0.0'
    Install failed. Rolling back...
    Package 'Microsoft.VisualStudio.ConnectedServices.2.0.0' does not exist in project 'ConsoleApplication1'
    Package 'Microsoft.VisualStudio.ConnectedServices.2.0.0' does not exist in folder 'C:\FWork\S*****\****\Windows Application - Release 16 - Work Copy\ConsoleApplication1\packages'
    Install-Package : Could not install package 'Microsoft.VisualStudio.ConnectedServices 2.0.0'. You are trying to install this package into a project that targets 
    'native,Version=v0.0', but the package does not contain any assembly references or content files that are compatible with that framework. For more information, contact the 
    package author.
    At line:1 char:1
    + Install-Package
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [Install-Package], Exception
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : NuGetCmdletUnhandledException,NuGet.PackageManagement.PowerShellCmdlets.InstallPackageCommand

Due to a lack of experience, I am not sure how to move forward from this, any advice would be appreciated.

Also, why does Visual Studio want to load connected services even though the project doesn't require it?

• Edited by Percy Vere Tuesday, June 28, 2016 6:34 PM
    Tuesday, June 28, 2016 12:17 PM

Answers

• Hi Percy Vere,

Please tell us the Visual Studio version you are using first. And please check whether your Visual Studio installed the latest update.

Is this problem occurs after installing Visual Studio or after using for a while?

If after using for a while, please try repair your Visual Studio through Control Panel -> Programs and Features -> Visual Studio 2015 -> Change -> Repair.

If after installing, please check whether you installed the Visual Studio Connected Services SDK and then please copy the Microsoft.VisualStudio.ConnectedServices.dll assembly that gets added to your packages/Microsoft.VisualStudio.ConnectedServices.2.0.0/lib/net45 folder to the folder where devenv.exe is located, which is often located at C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\Common7\IDE.

Now, please close your Visual Studio and restart it again to check whether this problem still exist.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Marked as answer by Percy Vere Wednesday, June 29, 2016 9:41 AM
    Wednesday, June 29, 2016 6:01 AM

All replies

• Hi Percy Vere,

Please tell us the Visual Studio version you are using first. And please check whether your Visual Studio installed the latest update.

Is this problem occurs after installing Visual Studio or after using for a while?

If after using for a while, please try repair your Visual Studio through Control Panel -> Programs and Features -> Visual Studio 2015 -> Change -> Repair.

If after installing, please check whether you installed the Visual Studio Connected Services SDK and then please copy the Microsoft.VisualStudio.ConnectedServices.dll assembly that gets added to your packages/Microsoft.VisualStudio.ConnectedServices.2.0.0/lib/net45 folder to the folder where devenv.exe is located, which is often located at C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\Common7\IDE.

Now, please close your Visual Studio and restart it again to check whether this problem still exist.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Marked as answer by Percy Vere Wednesday, June 29, 2016 9:41 AM
    Wednesday, June 29, 2016 6:01 AM
  • Hi,

Many thanks for your input. I performed the Repair as suggested and the issue now seems to have gone away. 

Wednesday, June 29, 2016 9:41 AM