Package load failure messages RRS feed

• Question

• When a package fails to load the error messages include the class name of the package, but they don't include the vsix product name.

Any ideas how to get the package name in this error messages? See my package and manifest files in the links bellow:

Friday, June 12, 2015 10:47 AM

Answers

• Yes, the built-in error dialog will not give us the package's product name. But if you check the ActivityLog.xml file, you'll find that it gives you the package guid, for example:

<entry>
        <record>663</record>
        <time>2015/06/15 08:24:43.742</time>
        <type>Error</type>
        <source>VisualStudio</source>
        <description>End package load [ProviderPackage]</description>
        <guid>{5F2E5E42-4192-4D79-A0D8-1D881E808829}</guid>
        <hr>...</hr>
        <errorinfo>...</errorinfo>
      </entry>

You could then use this guid to search registry for more information, see this article by Carlos for reference:

HOWTO: Detect installed Visual Studio editions, packages or service packs

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Marked as answer by pepone.onrez Wednesday, June 17, 2015 11:40 AM
    Tuesday, June 16, 2015 6:06 AM

All replies

• Hi,

For VS2010 and earlier versions, you can try to use Extension Analyzer or Package Load Analyzer to troubleshoot the package load problem.

For the later VS versions, you could follow this document to troubleshoot the VSPackage problem:

How to: Troubleshoot VSPackages

To be short, you could use the Activity Log of Visual Studio to inspect the package load problems.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Monday, June 15, 2015 6:50 AM
  • Hi,

I have fix the loading failure but that is not what I asking for, what I asking for is how to get the product name in the error message. If you look a the screenshot above 'Package' is just the name of the class that implements my package, but the product name in VSIX manifest is 'Ice Builder'.

Monday, June 15, 2015 10:17 AM
  • Yes, the built-in error dialog will not give us the package's product name. But if you check the ActivityLog.xml file, you'll find that it gives you the package guid, for example:

<entry>
        <record>663</record>
        <time>2015/06/15 08:24:43.742</time>
        <type>Error</type>
        <source>VisualStudio</source>
        <description>End package load [ProviderPackage]</description>
        <guid>{5F2E5E42-4192-4D79-A0D8-1D881E808829}</guid>
        <hr>...</hr>
        <errorinfo>...</errorinfo>
      </entry>

You could then use this guid to search registry for more information, see this article by Carlos for reference:

HOWTO: Detect installed Visual Studio editions, packages or service packs

• Marked as answer by pepone.onrez Wednesday, June 17, 2015 11:40 AM
    Tuesday, June 16, 2015 6:06 AM