Adding different features to a form created in Expression Web and uploaded to a GoDaddy website RRS feed

• Question

• Hi!  I created a form using Jim Cheshire's tutorial and uploaded it to a website thru GoDaddy.  The form works great but the owner of the website is asking if 2 modifications can be done and I have no idea if they can or how to do them.

The first one is:  can the form be set up to be sent to more than one email address?

The second one is, for this form, the owner would like it password protected.  I tried creating a login page for the form but I don't know much about coding and I followed Jim Cheshire's tutorial to create the login page but have no idea how to get the database, etc connected with GoDaddy.  I talked to numerous people from GoDaddy before finally reaching someone who said that instead of creating the login page, I can just password protect the form, and add FTP users to the GoDaddy hosting for each person and they'll be able to log in to the form that way.  I haven't tried this yet because I wanted to make sure everything is working correctly on the form first.  So following Jim Cheshire's tutorial, for the code for sending the email, he created a text box for an email address to be entered and used that for the "from" email address in his code.  I took that a step further and created a dropdown box and figured I could have a list of everyone's email address in there and they just choose their name - I tried that and it works; however, the owner is hoping that there's a way to have their name automatically sent with the form because he's afraid that some people might not be careful and choose another person's name by mistake - he also wants everything on the form to be drop down boxes & radio buttons for yes/no so that no one has to actually fill anything in on their own and they just choose from the choices.  Is there a way add in some code that when someone logs into the form thru GoDaddy that their name/email address will automatically be sent with the form?

Thanks!!

Debbie

Debbie Walker

Tuesday, September 4, 2012 5:41 AM

All replies

• I'm sure someone here could help however I would also mention members here will probably redirect you to the appropriate ASP.Net forum (link below).

I would say that what you want to do, i.e. combine/integrate the email script and the login/membership scripts is above your skill-level (for a non-coder), but saying that, the ASP.Net forum isl more likely to be your best source of assistance: go to the forums here: http://www.asp.net

You're heading more into web application territory and is perhaps more than can be explained easily in a few back-and-forth forum posts.

Andrew M

http://www.murraywebs.com

"Nothing spoils numbers faster than arithmetic!"
    -- Peppermint Patty (Peanuts, Charles M. Schulz)

• Edited by AndrewOZ1 Tuesday, September 4, 2012 9:47 AM
    Tuesday, September 4, 2012 9:39 AM
  • Question 1: Yes the form can be emailed to more than one person. Since you are mentioning Jim Cheshire, I assume you are using asp.net, which means you can see the VB (or C#, depending) code. And looking at that code for sending the email, you can probably look at it to see how it is set up. So then you could add another section of code just like it, but changed to include the second email address.

Question 2: The first idea, using membership and login controls provided by asp.net is the "best" way to go (although that may not be "best" for you personally), but like you have noted, you would have to port the SQL Express database to your host, and get the connection string to use in your web.config file. See tutorial number 13 for some discussion on what is needed to set up a membership site, if you are inclined to head in that direction. Now -- if you do go that way, then it is dead simple to automatically bring up the logged-in users name.  But you have quite a bit of work to get to that point.

Using the method GoDaddy has suggested is not something I am familiar with, but I would assume that a proper line of code could capture the UserName and email address of the person signing in, and that email address could be used to automatically populate the associated textbox. That would even be better than a dropdown list, as there would be no chance for an error.

The asp.net forum is probably the best place to ask how to automatically capture the login info you need.

ClarkNK, A.K.A. HomePage Doctor
    HomePageDoctor.com -- Expression Web database tutorials
    Ownertrades.com -- Created with Expression, VWDExress, SQL Express, and ASP.NET
    Arvixe -- My favored web host

Tuesday, September 4, 2012 12:30 PM
  • Thanks!  I'm going to check into this right now.  I do have another question that I thought I would be able to figure out on my own but no luck.

Right now when the form is submitted, "Sent" is shown at the top of the page and the form is still there but all of the information that was entered is also still there.  I found a tutorial online but that one is only to have the entire form go away and only "Sent" show up on the screen once the form is sent.  I found a tutorial from Jim Cheshire to at least set up 2 different page views (his is the form on view 1 and then on view 2 is a message saying the form was submitted) so I thought I could use his set up to either add the form in again under view 2 or with view 2 have text saying the form is submitted with a link to reload the page, but when I try either of those, following his tutorial exactly, an error comes up and the form doesn't even load to begin with.  How do I set up the form/what is the code to have the page reload after being sent and have a blank form come up.  This way when someone is submitting more than one form at a time, when they submit a form it will automatically be set up to fill out another form to submit.  Thanks!

Debbie Walker

Tuesday, September 4, 2012 2:29 PM
  • If you are working in asp.net, and looking for detailed coding help, go to the asp.net forum.  There, it is appropriate to actually post your asp.net code when asking questions (which you will need to do - general descriptions of what you have tried to do don't provide enough information for anyone to debug your code), and people there are often willing to post detailed code replies.

http://forums.asp.net/

Tuesday, September 4, 2012 4:14 PM
  • An easy way to accomplish a separate looking confirmation is to use the Panel Controls.

You can have two Panels, one for example with ID of PnlLoad and one with an ID of PnlConfirm

In PnlLoad you put all the stuff with the form on it.

In PnlLoad, you put your confirmation message, along with a hyperlink that says "Submit Another Form?", with the URL of that hyperlink being the page url, so clicking on the hyperlink reload the initial page with the blank form.

When working with Panels, its always a good idea to look at your source code to make sure you are getting the correct stuff into the correct panel.

You do need a little code along with this that on loading the page you run

PnlLoad.Visible = True

PnlConfirm.Visible = False

and when the form is submitted, you run:

PnlLoad.Visible = False

PnlConfirm.Visible = True

Now -- others here may jump in and say it's too complicated, you don't need it, and I should not be bringing it up to someone at your level, but the fact is that entering the code bits I show above is trivially simple with the free sister program Visual Web Developer Express ----

ClarkNK, A.K.A. HomePage Doctor
    HomePageDoctor.com -- Expression Web database tutorials
    Ownertrades.com -- Created with Expression, VWDExress, SQL Express, and ASP.NET
    Arvixe -- My favored web host

Tuesday, September 4, 2012 6:37 PM