SilverLight using Winforms. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I'm Newbie for silverlight4. I need a suggstion. can I use Silverlight in winforms?

I'm developing winform/Desktop based application, can I use silverlight. Is this better choice?

what is the difference between silverlight and wpf?

thanks in advance,

swami

Wednesday, November 16, 2011 6:58 AM

Answers

• It would take a lot of information to fully answer your questions.  However, here is the short versions: 

Can you use SL in WinForms?  Not directly.  If you have a browser window in your WinForms app, you can load a control that way.

You can (and I would encourage) you to look at building Silverlight Out-of-browser apps instead of a WinForms or WPF app.  But it really comes down to your needs.  WPF is also a very solid choice.  I, personally, would stay away from a WinForms app unless your business environment requires it.

However, I am of the camp "the right tool for the job".  So it really comes down to what you are developing, your time frame, etc.

Wednesday, November 16, 2011 7:50 AM
  • Re: Silverlight using Winforms???... 

Hmmm... I'm not saying this cannot be done,

http://www.richard-banks.org/2011/04/winforms-and-silverlight-integration.html

But in my own humble opinion taking a similar "twisted" approach option would pretty much be
    like going backwards and in the end would perhaps bring you to deal with a lot of complicated issues
    you might have first expected.
    So personally I'd avoid using a Silverlight in Winforms approach right from the start...

I would also suggest you'd take a look at WPF (Windows Presentation Form) instead of using
    Winforms. Silverlight OOB (Out-of-Browser) is another option.   

I made the switch from Winform to WPF a while ago (then came to adopt Silverlight afterwards in 2007)
    and never regretted my move...  but hey it's up to you... it's never too late;)

Wednesday, November 16, 2011 1:29 PM

All replies

• It would take a lot of information to fully answer your questions.  However, here is the short versions: 

Can you use SL in WinForms?  Not directly.  If you have a browser window in your WinForms app, you can load a control that way.

You can (and I would encourage) you to look at building Silverlight Out-of-browser apps instead of a WinForms or WPF app.  But it really comes down to your needs.  WPF is also a very solid choice.  I, personally, would stay away from a WinForms app unless your business environment requires it.

However, I am of the camp "the right tool for the job".  So it really comes down to what you are developing, your time frame, etc.

Wednesday, November 16, 2011 7:50 AM
  • Re: Silverlight using Winforms???... 

Hmmm... I'm not saying this cannot be done,

http://www.richard-banks.org/2011/04/winforms-and-silverlight-integration.html

But in my own humble opinion taking a similar "twisted" approach option would pretty much be
    like going backwards and in the end would perhaps bring you to deal with a lot of complicated issues
    you might have first expected.
    So personally I'd avoid using a Silverlight in Winforms approach right from the start...

I would also suggest you'd take a look at WPF (Windows Presentation Form) instead of using
    Winforms. Silverlight OOB (Out-of-Browser) is another option.   

I made the switch from Winform to WPF a while ago (then came to adopt Silverlight afterwards in 2007)
    and never regretted my move...  but hey it's up to you... it's never too late;)

Wednesday, November 16, 2011 1:29 PM
  • Hi,

Yes, Recently SL5 is Destop VS so that you can do taht in SL 5. Take a look at Learn section of this site.

Thursday, November 17, 2011 3:16 AM