Installing the dev tools AFTER installing the Developer Preview.

Question

• Okay, i just downloaded the standard 32 bit ISO, but i need the developer tools. I do not want to redownload because i have slow internet. Is their just a link for the dev tools without a MSDN subscription? Thanks.
    • Moved by BillFillMicrosoft employee Friday, September 16, 2011 12:52 AM dev question (From:Windows Developer Preview: General OS questions )
    Friday, September 16, 2011 12:46 AM

Answers

• Hi Keaton876,

Because this seems to be a common question, I wanted to address it. For //BUILD/, Visual Studio has released 2 main development SKUs. Visual Studio 11 Developer Preview Express (which shipped in the Windows Developer Preview 64-bit) and Visual Studio 11 Developer Preview (which is our Ultimate SKU, and I will refer to it as VS Developer Preview).

As you might have discovered by now, the Express SKU only creates Metro Style apps in many languages.

You can still create 32-bit apps with the Express SKU and deploy these onto 64 and 32 bit Windows Developer Preview OS(s).

The VS Developer Preview was announced on JasonZ's blog, (http://blogs.msdn.com/b/jasonz/archive/2011/09/14/announcing-visual-studio-11-developer-preview.aspx). After you install this SKU then you can open existing projects. For Build, if you want to develop Metro Style apps with this sku then you will need to install it on a Windows Developer Preview machine (with tools), or in other words where the Visual Studio 11 Developer Preview Express has been preinstalled.

Please let me know if you have additional questions.

Thanks!

AaronRu

Visual Studio & .NET Framework Deployment Program Manager
    Friday, September 16, 2011 3:05 PM

All replies

• Friday, September 16, 2011 3:13 AM
  • Hi Keaton876,

Because this seems to be a common question, I wanted to address it. For //BUILD/, Visual Studio has released 2 main development SKUs. Visual Studio 11 Developer Preview Express (which shipped in the Windows Developer Preview 64-bit) and Visual Studio 11 Developer Preview (which is our Ultimate SKU, and I will refer to it as VS Developer Preview).

As you might have discovered by now, the Express SKU only creates Metro Style apps in many languages.

You can still create 32-bit apps with the Express SKU and deploy these onto 64 and 32 bit Windows Developer Preview OS(s).

The VS Developer Preview was announced on JasonZ's blog, (http://blogs.msdn.com/b/jasonz/archive/2011/09/14/announcing-visual-studio-11-developer-preview.aspx). After you install this SKU then you can open existing projects. For Build, if you want to develop Metro Style apps with this sku then you will need to install it on a Windows Developer Preview machine (with tools), or in other words where the Visual Studio 11 Developer Preview Express has been preinstalled.

Please let me know if you have additional questions.

Thanks!

AaronRu

Visual Studio & .NET Framework Deployment Program Manager
    Friday, September 16, 2011 3:05 PM