Need to document SQL Server details before migration RRS feed

• Question

• I am looking for a way to document SQL Server Features being used. Like if databases are being replicated then what are the configuration, mirroring settings, log shipping, cluster information, triggers, jobs, alerts, operators, linked servers, encryption keys, etc stuff in an excel or pdf format

The purpose is to discover the features being used in the server before migration to be aware of the environment and document it. Most of the tools that i can look up document only Databases but i am looking to document SQL Server Features and Configuration being used.

Please mark the answer as helpful if i have answered your query. Thanks and Regards, Kartar Rana

Thursday, April 23, 2015 10:39 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi

Take a look at the script at the link below, where it would export as much configuration information from sql server instances then you can keep that for your back up:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/john_daskalakis/archive/2014/10/27/script-to-export-the-configuration-of-sql-server.aspx

Aram Koukia | Blog: koukia.ca | Twitter: @aramkoukia

• Marked as answer by Kartar Rana Friday, April 24, 2015 12:42 AM
    Friday, April 24, 2015 12:18 AM
  • This is just awesome. Will need a little modification but will do the trick. Thanks.

Please mark the answer as helpful if i have answered your query. Thanks and Regards, Kartar Rana

Friday, April 24, 2015 12:42 AM
  • This might not be excatly accurate but you can export server/database configurations  using Facets

--right click on the server name ---> Facets  -- you can then export the configuration as XML

similarly -- you can do the for database--- Right click on the database--> Facets -- export as XML

Hope it Helps!!

Saturday, April 25, 2015 1:18 AM