Requirement of Storage Account RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

While learning Azure, I have seen storage account.

Without creating a storage account, I setup Windows Server successfully.

I couldn’t understand the requirement of storage account.

Moreover, I have seen while creating a storage account.

Performance (Standard and Premium),
    Account Kind (General Purpose V1, General Purpose V2 and Blob Storage) and
    Replication (LRS, GRS and RA-GRS)

I got confused.

I request to clarify my confusions and simplify the role of Performance, Account Kind and Replication while creating the storage account.

Regards
    InTechSys

InTechSys

Thursday, August 1, 2019 5:21 PM

Answers

• Azure storage accounts hold four different services: Azure Blob Storage which is divided for block blobs and page blobs, then Azure File shares, which is an SMB based storage, then Azure Tables and Queues. 

For redundancy this doc provides a lot of details: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/storage/common/storage-redundancy

For account type and performance: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/storage/common/storage-account-overview

Let me know if the provided links helped.

• Proposed as answer by Adam Smith (Azure) Thursday, August 1, 2019 6:35 PM
    • Marked as answer by MrGNS Wednesday, August 7, 2019 2:23 PM
    Thursday, August 1, 2019 6:35 PM
  • If you are using managed disks, currently, the OS disks are stored in a storage account handled by Azure, so there is no requirement for you to create a storage account, unless if you would like to use file shares, blobs etc.. If you choose to enable diagnostic logs, you will be prompted to either pick and existing storage account or create a new one in which you can store those logs. Let me know if this answers your question.

Thanks,

Adam

• Proposed as answer by Adam Smith (Azure) Monday, August 5, 2019 5:07 PM
    Monday, August 5, 2019 5:07 PM
  • Is there any update on the issue?

If the suggested answer helped for your issue, do click on "Mark as Answer" and “Vote as Helpful” on the post that helps you, this can be beneficial to other community members.

• Marked as answer by MrGNS Wednesday, August 7, 2019 2:24 PM
    Wednesday, August 7, 2019 5:44 AM
  • If this answers your query, do click “Mark as Answer” and Up-Vote for the same, which might be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. And, if you have any further query do let us know.
    • Marked as answer by MrGNS Thursday, August 8, 2019 2:32 PM
    Thursday, August 8, 2019 7:39 AM

All replies

• Azure storage accounts hold four different services: Azure Blob Storage which is divided for block blobs and page blobs, then Azure File shares, which is an SMB based storage, then Azure Tables and Queues. 

For redundancy this doc provides a lot of details: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/storage/common/storage-redundancy

For account type and performance: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/storage/common/storage-account-overview

Let me know if the provided links helped.

• Proposed as answer by Adam Smith (Azure) Thursday, August 1, 2019 6:35 PM
    Thursday, August 1, 2019 6:35 PM
  • Thank you for giving time for resolving my queries.

To understand, what is storage account. It's fine.

But I would like to understand the need of Storage Account.

As I mentioned in the question, without creating a storage account, I setup Windows Server 2016 Domain Controller successfully and access it using RDP.

Like Windows Server 2016, I created Windows 10 successfully and accessed it using RDP. I can save data in Windows 10, Then why do I need storage account separately and what's pros and cons for using storage account separately?

InTechSys

Monday, August 5, 2019 3:11 PM
  • If you are using managed disks, currently, the OS disks are stored in a storage account handled by Azure, so there is no requirement for you to create a storage account, unless if you would like to use file shares, blobs etc.. If you choose to enable diagnostic logs, you will be prompted to either pick and existing storage account or create a new one in which you can store those logs. Let me know if this answers your question.

Thanks,

Adam

• Proposed as answer by Adam Smith (Azure) Monday, August 5, 2019 5:07 PM
    Monday, August 5, 2019 5:07 PM
  • Is there any update on the issue?

If the suggested answer helped for your issue, do click on "Mark as Answer" and “Vote as Helpful” on the post that helps you, this can be beneficial to other community members.

• Marked as answer by MrGNS Wednesday, August 7, 2019 2:24 PM
    Wednesday, August 7, 2019 5:44 AM
  • If this answers your query, do click “Mark as Answer” and Up-Vote for the same, which might be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. And, if you have any further query do let us know.
    • Marked as answer by MrGNS Thursday, August 8, 2019 2:32 PM
    Thursday, August 8, 2019 7:39 AM