Sql Azure Database Redirection RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I'm thinking about starting my first Azure project. Will be just a very simple webpage, a webservice and a Sql Database. I'm now in the desing part and some doubts arose.

In the beginning there is not going to be a problem with the database size. but, if it grows a lot, and then I need a second database for example... how would I handle this? Can I do it by code or is it done automatically?

If my Database does not fit in one Sql Azure database and a second gets created with exactly the same schema.. how would I manage to know in which one the information I need is now? Or do I get and endpoint to communicate with and Azure does the rest? That would be really nice because EF then would be very easy to implement I guess...

Sorry if it is a very basic question, but this things are better to be clear in the very beginning of the project :-)

Thanks in advance!

Saturday, May 26, 2012 7:33 AM

Answers

• To scale over multiple servers is possible using federation and shards.  You can read more sharding on the net.

However, because a sql database has a maximum capacity of concurrent connections and size.  You might be interested in Azure Tables.  Azure tables are not "relational" but can containt terabytes of data in one table.

Kind regards

Damiaan

Dampee (blog | twitter)

• Edited by DamPee Saturday, May 26, 2012 2:54 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Paras Doshi Monday, May 28, 2012 4:08 AM
    • Marked as answer by Herve RoggeroMVP Friday, June 1, 2012 3:42 AM
    Saturday, May 26, 2012 2:53 PM

All replies

• To scale over multiple servers is possible using federation and shards.  You can read more sharding on the net.

However, because a sql database has a maximum capacity of concurrent connections and size.  You might be interested in Azure Tables.  Azure tables are not "relational" but can containt terabytes of data in one table.

Kind regards

Damiaan

Dampee (blog | twitter)

• Edited by DamPee Saturday, May 26, 2012 2:54 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Paras Doshi Monday, May 28, 2012 4:08 AM
    • Marked as answer by Herve RoggeroMVP Friday, June 1, 2012 3:42 AM
    Saturday, May 26, 2012 2:53 PM
  • I agree with DamPee had to say. He gave you an option to explore Azure Tables which if it's fits your needs solves your concern about "database size".

Just wanted to point that SQL Azure would not create databases automatically. You got to give it instruction via code/azure-portal to create databases. And if you decide to go via the SQL Azure federation you scale out (to meet growing demand) via code i.e. running a SPLIT command. And you can query more than one databases (in SQL Azure federation world they are called shards) and get the information you need. If you need specific information after reading the federation article that DamPee pointed you to, feel free to ask them.

Paras Doshi (Blog: ParasDoshi.com | Twitter: @Paras_Doshi )

Monday, May 28, 2012 4:08 AM