Windows 10 Pro App Certification RRS feed

• Question

• I am looking to get my company’s software application certified as compatible with Windows 10. I would like to show this certification as proof to my customers. I am not looking to put my company’s application in the Microsoft store. Do I need a developer's account to complete this certification process?

When I am running the Windows App Certification Kit I run into this message after the program runs.

“Testing cannot continue unless an application is successfully installed,
    including a discoverable shortcut and an entry in add/remove programs.”

The application was installed successfully, the shortcut was created and it was added to the add/remove programs list in the control panel. I am wondering if anyone has encountered a similar issue and is there a developed solution to this message?

Are there any other forums I could post to that can help me with a resolution to this issue?

Thanks. Any insight is much appreciated.

Friday, July 24, 2020 1:16 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for posting here.

First, which type of your application? This forum is for discussing the development of the windows desktop application.

For desktop application, Could you please check if your software application meets the Certification requirements for Windows Desktop Apps, especially point 10: install to the correct folders by default?

Best Regards,

Drake

This “Windows Desktop SDK” Forum will be migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A, please refer to this sticky post for more details. 

"Win32 API" forum will be migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A !
    We invite you to post new questions in the "Win32 API" forum’s new home on Microsoft Q&A !
    For more information, please refer to the sticky post.

Monday, July 27, 2020 9:02 AM
  • Hello Drake,

Thank you for the reply. I am inquiring about a windows desktop application. Upon meeting all of the requirements, what is the next step?

Thank you.

Tuesday, July 28, 2020 8:10 PM
  • You could refer to the following document:

Certify your desktop application

And also Note that, "Certification for Win32 desktop apps is deprecated. Instead, submit files here."

Best Regards,

Drake

This “Windows Desktop SDK” Forum will be migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A, please refer to this sticky post for more details. 

We invite you to post new questions in the "Win32 API" forum’s new home on Microsoft Q&A !

Thursday, July 30, 2020 6:32 AM
  • Hello Drake,

I have been running the certification test kit on my app and it appears to be only failing one aspect of the test. The error message I get from the Windows App Certification Test Kit is that my exe file "is marked as either "RequiredAdministrator" or "HighestAvailable" and is not signed."

To sign the exe do I need to obtain a code signing certificate (below) from Microsoft? How do I know which signing certificate is the correct one for me and my application?

Also, when I certify my application do I need to certify each and every single future version of the application again or do I need to certify only versions with major changes?

Thank you.

Wednesday, August 5, 2020 2:45 PM
  • The following document could help to sign the app.

How to sign an app package using SignTool

Best Regards,

DrakeThis “Windows Desktop SDK” Forum will be migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A, please refer to this sticky post for more details. 

Thursday, August 6, 2020 3:37 AM
  • Thank you Drake.

When I certify my application do I need to recertify each and every single future version of my application or do I need to certify only versions with major changes?

Also, is it possible to only certify my desktop application and not put it inside of the Microsoft store?

Thanks.

• Edited by keyboard1234 Thursday, August 6, 2020 12:05 PM Needed to add another question.
    Thursday, August 6, 2020 11:58 AM