none
Which softwares do I have to install? RRS feed

• Question

• I will be working on hand gesture recognition for my Educational project.

I bought a Kinect for xbox one device and I want to connect it to my Windows 10 laptop.

I've read a lot of things and I'm a bit confused and need some help.

I have installed  SDK V2 and  Visual studio 2017 Currently.

Do I need to install another software such as  Microsoft.NET Framework , DirectX Software Dvelopement kit , DirectX End-User Runtimes or other softwares to get started ?Or not ?

• Edited by sara638 Monday, April 8, 2019 6:56 PM
    Monday, April 8, 2019 6:55 PM

All replies

• "I want to connect it to my Windows 10 laptop."

You first need a Kinect adapter as the device uses a non-standard USB Type B cable and port. Seems the $100 frenzy for such a device is over as manufacturers made their own available as Microsoft has stopped producing them.: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=kinect+adapter&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

• Edited by Yanis Lukes Wednesday, April 10, 2019 1:21 PM first things first
    Wednesday, April 10, 2019 1:20 PM
  • Thank you for your answer .
    Yes, I do have a kinect adapter that connects to my laptop USB 3.0 port. now I want to know what kind of software should I install on my system to work with the Kinect so that I can get the output of the Kinect and do my processes on the outputs.

• Edited by sara638 Thursday, April 11, 2019 10:19 AM
    Thursday, April 11, 2019 6:58 AM
  • SDK V2 installs SDK browser. Within it launch the Kinect Configuration Verifier to confirm that Kinect is working properly. If it does even with a USB warning, you can ignore it.

All the other software and documentation can be found within the SDK browser.

• Proposed as answer by Yanis Lukes Saturday, April 13, 2019 5:43 PM
    Saturday, April 13, 2019 5:38 PM
  • If you want a head-start with a 3D environment, I can recommend this Unity 3D commercial package 'Kinect v2 Examples with MS-SDK and Nuitrack SDK' (am not affiliated): https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/3d/characters/kinect-v2-examples-with-ms-sdk-and-nuitrack-sdk-18708
    • Edited by Yanis Lukes Saturday, April 13, 2019 5:43 PM implement plain paste Microsoft!
    • Proposed as answer by Yanis Lukes Saturday, April 13, 2019 5:43 PM
    Saturday, April 13, 2019 5:42 PM
  • SDK V2 installs SDK browser. Within it launch the Kinect Configuration Verifier to confirm that Kinect is working properly. If it does even with a USB warning, you can ignore it.

All the other software and documentation can be found within the SDK browser.

thank's  that was helpful.
    So I do not need software like DirectX, .NET , etc .  And sdk is enough.
    Monday, April 15, 2019 10:59 AM
  • If you want a head-start with a 3D environment, I can recommend this Unity 3D commercial package 'Kinect v2 Examples with MS-SDK and Nuitrack SDK' (am not affiliated): https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/3d/characters/kinect-v2-examples-with-ms-sdk-and-nuitrack-sdk-18708

Thanks !

I'm at the begining and I need whatever that could possiblly help me with the project .

Monday, April 15, 2019 11:03 AM