when to go for Sql Azure RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Right now I have an application which uses SQL Server 2005 and it will have millions of records. I am accessing the data by WCF and LINQ.

Now I want to migrate it to Azure. Please let me know whether I need to go for SQL Azure (or) is it possible to work with only windows azure and table storage.

Thanks.

~JP

Monday, February 21, 2011 9:45 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Jaya

you may have a look at this MSDN paper that discusses some guidelines when to choose Windows Azure Tables and when SQL Azure.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/gg309178.aspx

• Marked as answer by jayaprakashc Monday, February 21, 2011 10:19 AM
    Monday, February 21, 2011 9:55 AM
  • Please make a note that Azure Table Storage  is not a RDBMS. So if your SQL Server is having lot of relations then you might need to do some  changes in your architecture to move it to table storage.

Also, you might already be having few stored procs in your SQL server, so you might consider to use SQL Azure.

Also, there can be few data processing tasks not available for table storage. Even if you use linq it will not support order by command and may be more.

However, you should check the guidelines as suggested in the above post by Marc.

If this post answers your question, please mark it as an answer. If this post is helpful to you, then vote it as helpful.
    TechyFreak | Mobile Development Resources
    Monday, February 21, 2011 10:08 AM