none
Upgrade Path Windows Forms / Enterprise Library / SQL Server / Access DB

Question

• We currently support a Windows Forms application that is built (originally in 2005, currently functioning in VS2017) on vb.Net accessing a SQL Server Database through Enterprise Library 5.0 and also exports data to an Access ACCDB using OLEDB.  We are disabling TLS1.0/SSL in our environment so we'd like to move from OLEDB Access.  SQL seems to be fine with TLS1.0/SSL disabled.  Additionally, Enterprise Library is no longer supported.  I'm looking for recommendations on upgrading and not sure what direction to go. 

• Do we move from Enterprise Library to EF6 or EFCore or ??
    • We have object classes built for our SQL data access, so should I just use System.Data.SQLClient
    • Should we stay with Enterprise Library since it essentially works (using Data and Logging)
    • We use the Dataset functionality of OLEDB to transfer data efficiently from SQL Server to Access, what options are available when we move from OLEDB

I'm willing to catch up with reading but frankly internet searches have not provided the direction or assurance that we're taking the appropriate steps to bring us up-to-date and prepared for the next chapter of development.  Thank you!

Thursday, December 6, 2018 11:22 PM

All replies

• Hello,

I would say if everything is working 'as is' then there is no compelling reason to move away from this library.

The only reason to move away from the Enterprise library is when you run into roadblocks were the library does not do task efficiently which is a double edge sword e.g. consider using Entity Framework 6 or above (EF Core), at first glance it's easy to learn but to get 'things' right and learn the nuances of EF, architecture and how EF interacts with form controls can take time to master. From that one (or a team) needs to ask 'is EF right for this solution?'

If you do go with Entity Framework and work with DataGridView controls be sure to check out this sortable BindingList component as without it you can't sort.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem. Contact via my Twitter (Karen Payne) or Facebook (Karen Payne) via my MSDN profile but will not answer coding question on either.
    VB Forums - moderator
    profile for Karen Payne on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites

Friday, December 7, 2018 12:01 AM