MSBI RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We have recently moved our MSBI stack to cloud 2016. But when we are trying to connect to the excel pivot reports to cloud servers. We are facing error like "Internal Error: An unexpected error Occurred".

I have tried many ways to fix it. For instance.

1) In connection-->Properties-->Definition-->I have Browsed the connection file--> checked "Always use connection File" and tried the close the excel and re-opened. But have popped with the same error.

2)I have tried to remove all the naming conventions for the base measure in the excel and tried to point to the connection manager with a plain report. It didn't work either.

3) In the same Workbook in a different sheet, I tried to connect to a cloud server in which I could able to create reports. 

But I would like to refresh my pivot reports which were created very long back and just want to point to cloud servers.

Please revert if there is any solution that could help me.

Thanks in advance,

Swathi

Thursday, August 24, 2017 6:16 PM

Answers

• Hi Swathi,

Look at the event viewer on the machine you should be able to see the cause of the errror.

Does the sheet have any formulas(calculated members) which might be referring to cube members which dont exist anymore?

If the cube structure has changed from the time the report was written ( attributes removed etc) I have seen it giving such an error. 

Hope this helps,

N

Thursday, August 24, 2017 6:53 PM

All replies

• Hi Swathi,

Look at the event viewer on the machine you should be able to see the cause of the errror.

Does the sheet have any formulas(calculated members) which might be referring to cube members which dont exist anymore?

If the cube structure has changed from the time the report was written ( attributes removed etc) I have seen it giving such an error. 

Hope this helps,

N

Thursday, August 24, 2017 6:53 PM
  • Tried to run SQL profiler and it had written same error. I am able to connect to the different server like QA but when connecting to cloud facing this specific error. We have moved the updated code to Cloud.  We have done the structure comparison and seems to be no issues. I also tried with that particular template by removing all attributes, and placed just one dimension attribute and a measure and tried to change the data source connection and the problem still persists.

Thursday, August 24, 2017 9:27 PM
  • Hi swathi Tulluru,

By cloud server, so you are using SQL Server Business Intelligence in Azure Virtual Machines, right?

Are you using SQL Server Reporting Server (Azure Virtual) to connect to the Excel? If so, you could try with ODBC. With ODBC, you can summarise, and select just the data you need, in an Excel workbook before importing it into SQL Server. You can join data from different areas or worksheets. You could refer to this thread Connecting Excel 2013 to SSRS 2012 to use as a datasource for reference. 

Best Regards,

Henry 

Friday, August 25, 2017 6:38 AM
  • There were Custom Hierarchy present in the pivot and these custom hierarchies has been disabled in the latest version.
    Thursday, March 29, 2018 6:22 AM