Manage Users RRS feed

• Question

• I have Created a sharepoint site, both a top level sharepoint  and children sites. When i browse through the tutorials i see that they press the manage users. I dont have the manage users text under administration. I have manage group and users but here i can only create users already in the system.

What i want is to add users to the site that can do things. How is this done? Why cant i see Manage Users?

I am running windows 7 ultimate and sharepoint 3.0.

//Fredrik
    • Moved by Mike Walsh FIN Friday, February 12, 2010 11:07 AM not customization (From:SharePoint - Design and Customization (pre-SharePoint 2010))
    Friday, February 12, 2010 10:15 AM

Answers

• You should be able to set up users on your local machine and have them access a SharePoint website.  You can continue to add users to your local machine and they should be able to connect to your SharePoint website.  All you need to do is give them a username and a password.

If you're looking to use their email addresses, you have to set up a Shared Services Provider and then you'll have to manually type in each username and their email address.
    • Marked as answer by MrHadley Wednesday, March 10, 2010 7:29 AM
    Monday, February 15, 2010 3:49 PM

All replies

• Hi:

Please follow the sequence to add users

Site settings  >> People and Groups >> and click on >> "ADD Users "

Thanks,
    Best Regards, Mukesh Giri Sr.System Executive
    Friday, February 12, 2010 11:13 AM
  • Friday, February 12, 2010 11:19 AM
  • I have tried this but the thing im having problem with is that when i press add user and in the box where i spell the user name i dont know how to get a user in there

Im trying just to send out email adresses to people but it says that their adresses doesnt exist in the database

I really want to know how i can add people to my database/sharepoint site so i can add them into group and let them use the site.

//Fredrik
    Saturday, February 13, 2010 3:13 PM
  • Hi,

How do your users log on?  Are they all in an Active Directory?  Is the front end machine in a domain?  How do you log on to your machine?  Do you use a local account or a domain account?

Mike
    Monday, February 15, 2010 8:51 AM
  • Currently i dont have any users, i have created a sharepoint site on my computer. The only accounts are my account and a sharepoint user account i test created on this computer.

So the front end machine is my own computer in my home network.

I log into my machine with a password and i log in with a local account i think.

I am quite new to the whole sharepoint system, so im not sure of how i setup an environment for me to work in.

I want to have a site where i can add users and we can work towards this site from different locations.

I thought i just created a sharepoint site and created users and gave them logins and passes, but im guessing here that it is more like i create a server and each time i want a new user i have to create them as a login on this computer.

The active directory you are talking about do they need to be in this im also guessing here but this is something similar to what im saying above, that i create the account on this computer. Can i add them another way?

//Fredrik
    Monday, February 15, 2010 11:59 AM

• You should be able to set up users on your local machine and have them access a SharePoint website.  You can continue to add users to your local machine and they should be able to connect to your SharePoint website.  All you need to do is give them a username and a password.

If you're looking to use their email addresses, you have to set up a Shared Services Provider and then you'll have to manually type in each username and their email address.
    • Marked as answer by MrHadley Wednesday, March 10, 2010 7:29 AM
    Monday, February 15, 2010 3:49 PM