none
Accessing Application Data on Windows 7 RRS feed

• Question

• Running Windows 7 64-bit. Have 32-bit application which uses MSAccess .mdb to store data, and this .mdb is installed to C:\Program Files (x86)\Catalog Builder\CatalogName\CatalogName.mdb. Sometimes my developers and support need to be able to perform back-end operations on the actual database that gets used by the application. However in Windows 7, this does not seem possible. I can't find the actual .mdb that is being used.

(1) I go into my application's GUI and change data. I go into Program Files (x86)\Catalog Builder\CatalogName\CatalogName.mdb first since that's what I'm used to. The changes are not reflected there (even though a .ldb is created in that path when the mdb is open).
    (2) Next I check C:\Users\MyUserName\AppData\ and look around in all of those folders (Local, LocalLow and Roaming) and either there is nothing there.
    (3) Then I do a Windows Explorer Search throughout the entire Computer for the mdb in question. Nothing shows up except what I have already looked through (in addition to various Shortcuts which point to the same copies of the mdb I have already looked at...iow, the mdb that DOES NOT reflect the data changes I made in the GUI).

Where is the mdb file I'm looking for? The one that actually gets used by my application?

Thanks,
    Brent

BTW, I am senior software developer with Computer Pundits Corporation, not some schmuck trying to find a backdoor to manually corrupt backend data. I can provide Microsoft Certified Partner ID if needed, and here are 2 currently open tickets with Microsoft: 109100848800681 and 109090170235021.
    Wednesday, November 4, 2009 3:44 PM

All replies

• ANSWER:

This is due to the "Run As Administrator" privilege. I had to run my application as admin and also had to run Access as admin.

I did find a quirk with the Access admin thing though. After assigning admin privilege to Access, when dbl-clicking on the mdb it pops a message that "There was a problem sending the command to the program" but then it works fine after that. 
    Thursday, November 5, 2009 10:24 PM