none
"Storage account ... has some active images(s) and/or disk(s)...."

Question

• I created a test VM (from a Win Server image) and then deleted the VM. I found the deletion process left pieces such as virtual networks and storage associated with the VM un-deleted. (I wonder why?). So I deleted every component I could find associated with the VM. The last remaining piece is storage. When  I tried to delete the storage associated with the VM I got this error messages:

"Storage account <name> has some active images(s) and/or disk(s) e.g. <name>-<name>-os-1442527762701. Ensure these image(s) and\ or disk(s) are removed before deleting the storage account."

I have no idea what they are referring to as I can not locate any items, other than storage, related to the original VM. Help!

TIA,

edm2

Tuesday, September 22, 2015 6:36 AM

Answers

All replies

• Can you look if you have remaining image or disks on the Disk and Image tabs ?

Regards, Samir Farhat || Datacenter Consultant || The way to share my knowledge with the community Visit my blog : buildwindows.wordpress.com

Tuesday, September 22, 2015 8:07 AM
  • Samir,

Yes! I found two disks under Virtual Machines > Disks !

Question: given all the litter that's left around after deleting a VM is there is "best practices" approach to deleting a VM, one that deletes all the associated pieces of the VM?  (forgive me for asking such a question).

Another question: what are all the various pieces associated with a VM?  (the VM, storage, virtual network, disks. Other items? It seems that creating a VM is simpler than deleting one)

edm2

• Edited by edm2 Tuesday, September 22, 2015 1:04 PM
    Tuesday, September 22, 2015 1:02 PM
  • Questions are welcome :)

Yes, when deleting a virtual machine or any Azure object, it's really important to remove (if necessary) all the related objects

Example: A virtual machine can have many data disks, Public IP address, backups...

So before deleting a virtual machine, it's recommended to look which objects are related to this VM. Of course, Azure itself will make this verification and warn you sometimes, but it's recommended to track it yourself to avoid forgetting orphan objects, which will add some salt to your bill

Regards, Samir Farhat || Datacenter Consultant || The way to share my knowledge with the community Visit my blog : buildwindows.wordpress.com

Tuesday, September 22, 2015 1:36 PM
  • Samir,

>>> So before deleting a virtual machine, it's recommended to look which objects are related to this VM.

How can one tell what objects are related to a given VM?  (Is there a PowerShell script or page in the Portal that shows the relationship? I am hopeful that Resource Groups will come to the rescue but they are not supported by the current Portal.)

edm2

Tuesday, September 22, 2015 7:03 PM
  • When you delete the VM, it will ask you if you want to keep or delete the disks associated with that VM. If you choose to delete them, it will remove them for you. If you keep them, you can create a VM from those disks if you need to. If you don't want to do that, go ahead and ask the portal to delete them for you.

I'm not sure how to tell all the things associated with a VM. You've pretty much identified the ones created for you -- the VHD  files in storage and the virtual network. Hopefully you'd know if there was something that you created for the VM.

Robin

Wednesday, September 30, 2015 5:58 AM