none
Copyright changed event RRS feed

• Question

• With v7 of the Bing maps API I was able to display copyright information separately from the map area by setting 'showCopyright' to false in my map options and using a callback on the 'copyrightchanged' event to update my GUI.

With v8 I've found that setting 'showCopyright' to false (to free up some map space) disables the ''copyrightchanged'' event and so the copyright information is not displayed on my GUI either.

Monday, August 15, 2016 6:43 PM

Answers

• What type off app are you creating? The copyrights must be shown as per the terms of use of Bing Maps. The copyright changed event has been deprecated and the showCopyright function is no longer a documented feature, although exists for use in Microsoft owned apps.

[Blog] [twitter] [LinkedIn]

Monday, August 15, 2016 8:36 PM

All replies

• What type off app are you creating? The copyrights must be shown as per the terms of use of Bing Maps. The copyright changed event has been deprecated and the showCopyright function is no longer a documented feature, although exists for use in Microsoft owned apps.

Monday, August 15, 2016 8:36 PM
  • The program is a desktop application with a map shown in an embedded browser widget. My understanding of the terms and conditions when I first wrote it (using v7 of the API) was that the copyright notice could be removed from the map as long as it was displayed prominently elsewhere (as in this screenshot: http://photini.readthedocs.io/en/latest/_images/screenshot_20.png).

I wasn't aware that the copyrightchanged event had been deprecated. The v7 documentation doesn't suggest it's for MS use only.

Monday, August 15, 2016 9:26 PM
  • In the past the copyrights could be moved to another part of your application, only if it was a mobile app with a small map view. However, we found that many apps where simply hiding the copyrights and never properly displaying them elsewhere. There were also a lot of non-mobile apps also hiding the copyrights. With V8 we undocumented this feature due to this.

Tuesday, August 16, 2016 4:52 PM