none
Hide/Remove recent files dropdown from control panel and/or openfiledialog RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I have a device with WES7 and a custom shell on it. I want to hide/remove the recent files dropdown from the control panel (and/or from the standard openfile-dialog). This is for security reasons, because I want only the "Devices and printers" to appear in the control panel AND don`t want that the user can use the dropdown, because he can type "cmd" or something else and would be able to change settings this way... Does anyone know if this is possibel, I cant find anything on the web...

Thx, Fred

Thursday, October 28, 2010 10:15 AM

All replies

• On our device we just call the Add Printer Wizard directly to avoid the control panel:

c:\windows\system32\rundll32.exe printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /il

I don't think we actually have a way to remove a printer now that I think about it. I'll add that to the future feature list!

Of course, don't assume you're safe just because you've locked down the control panel. Consider this:

(From Add Printer Wizard)

"Add a local printer"

"Next"

"Have Disk..."

"Browse..."

At this point the user can right-click any folder and choose to open it in a new window, giving them an explorer window. Eventually we plan to lock this down by implementing our own print wizard. The printui dll is well documented and easy to use. There's still the possibility of the user setting up a fake printer share that contains malicious drivers, but that's a sophisticated enough attack that our average user isn't going to use it. We just want something that keeps them from playing games/movies/internet then complaining that our controller isn't working right because they're using to many resources/downloaded a virus.

There are also group policy settings that can prevent the user from running cmd and other executables. I haven't dug through them all yet, but they seem very useful for making sure only trusted software is run.

Thursday, October 28, 2010 12:20 PM
  • Thanks for your answer, but the add Printer Wizard is not enough for us, because we want the user to be able to:

• Add Printers
    • Remove Printers
    • Set a printer as the standard printer
    • Navigate to the Print queues etc to solve problems with the printer

I know that we are not safe, if we lock down the control panel, but we think we are a bit more safe and so safe enough for our device ;-)

The same problem we have with the standard openfiledialog. There you have the address bar and the option to right click etc... So we will implement our own file chooser if there is no chance to configute this dialog...

Thursday, October 28, 2010 1:28 PM