none
Adding Columns to Report at runtime. RRS feed

• Question

• I have a few questions concerning client-side Reporting Services.  Just to be clear I am using Microsoft Reporting Services not Crystal Reports.  I am also not using a report server.  This is all standalone client-side.  I am using Reports with VS2008 not SQL Server so I can't have the report server runtime dependency.

I would like to generate a table in a report that shows the contents of any DataTable I tell it to.  Reports allows me to specify a DataTable in a DataSet before it generates the report.  Everything works great except that I don't see a way to make the table in the report have the same number of columns as the DataTable that I am using. 

I have tried generating the .rdlc file at runtime using XMLWriter before loading the report but it seems that the .rdlc file that the report uses is compiled into the executable's resources somehow.

Does anyone know of any way of adding columns to a table in a report at runtime?  or Does anyone know how to edit the .rdlc file that is embedded in the executable assembly before it is used to generate a report?

Also, does Crystal Reports have this functionality?  I may consider going to it if it does.  I need to be able to run it standalone without the report server runtime dependency.

Any input or help would be great. 

Thanks.
    Tuesday, February 5, 2008 5:17 PM