Table relationship RRS feed

• Question

• I have 3 tables I am trying to relate for a music player.  I was following the example in the msdn however, my relationships do not seem right.  Here are tables i want to relate:

Table 1:
    ArtistID
    ArtistName:

Table 2:
    RecordingID
    RecordingName
    ArtistID

Table 3:
    TrackID
    TrackName
    TrackNumber
    TrackLocation
    RecordingID

So the main idea here is that the foreign keys are recordingId and artistID.  So what i did is created the 3 tables and then make a diagram to create the relationships.  I then was reading this post:
    http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=219696&SiteID=1
    What i want to do is use 2 different text boxes lets say and as i move from the records in the Record_table (2) the corresponding artist will change with it.  However in the dataset the relationship looks like this:
    Artist -> Recording -> Track.... inorder for me to get this relationship to work correctly i have to change all the relationships in the dataset diagram.  This way the dataset would look like this: Track -> Recording ->Artist.   This way i can use the 2 bindings to reference each other as stated in the link above.  why doesnt the relationship of the database know this already?  why do i have to change the relationship in the datasets.
    Monday, December 18, 2006 9:00 PM

Answers

• dbldown768,

Could you tell me your IDE of project? It is developed in Visual Basic Express Edition? I've read the posts shown in your question, it only about the Database. According to your description, I suggest you to change the relationship in your database. If you have any problem just related to the database, please post the question to the database forum support and you will get a detailed and satisfied answer.

Monday, December 25, 2006 6:03 AM

All replies

• I think you might have put this in the wrong forum.  You might want to post this in the SQL Server forums.
    Tuesday, December 19, 2006 12:58 AM
  • dbldown768,

Could you tell me your IDE of project? It is developed in Visual Basic Express Edition? I've read the posts shown in your question, it only about the Database. According to your description, I suggest you to change the relationship in your database. If you have any problem just related to the database, please post the question to the database forum support and you will get a detailed and satisfied answer.

Monday, December 25, 2006 6:03 AM