none
vsto addin load after msi repair RRS feed

• Question

• HI,

I have started getting a strange behavior to my Add-in installation. I use MSI based project to install my word addin.

from few days, when i install it on a fresh/old machine, addin does not load but as soon as i do repair from control panel->programs , it loads. why it is so?

i also use installer class in my code.

thanks

shashank

shashank

Wednesday, August 7, 2013 1:53 PM

All replies

• Hi shashnk,

I will consult my colleagues on this question and it will take some time. Your patience will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Jeffrey

Jeffrey Chen
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Thursday, August 8, 2013 11:49 AM
  • ok. Few more information:

on first installation (means before repair) , i have found that installer is not putting files in installation directory.  that's why addin does not load. but why it is happening and why it gets automatically resolved on repair?

shashank

shashank

Thursday, August 8, 2013 12:45 PM
  • Hi,

You can try to enable MSI logging to see installation flow.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/223300

Regards,
    Christian HL
    Microsoft Online Community Support

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Friday, August 9, 2013 1:26 AM
  • Hi shashank,

It's based on my experience that you might have some problem in the registy after the first time your add-in install.

Have a good day,

Tom

Friday, August 9, 2013 1:20 PM
  • Hello Christian HL,

I'm saurabh, continuing this conversation because shashank is on leave

I have tried as you suggested the log file for installer.

Now I am able to create log file for my installer on my machine, but not on some other machines.

because i'm not able to find Installer under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\ on those machines.

and log file contains big amount of data and not easily understandable. Is there any other solution to solve this problem.

Thanks, 

Saurabh

Friday, August 9, 2013 5:33 PM
  • Hi,

You can create that "Installer" path and add the key inside.

For the log, you can try to search some common keywords like "error", "err", "failed", "access denied". And usually you can try to read from end of log file.

Regards,
    Christian HL

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Monday, August 12, 2013 1:44 AM
  • Hi Christian HL ,

I have created two log files for my msi installer, one for the msi which is working and another for which is not working. both files are similar.

sometimes it works properly and sometimes does not.  

I'm not able to reproduce actual problem in the installer.

this problem happened after code check in and checkout from TFS.

Thanks,

saurabh

Monday, August 12, 2013 5:19 PM
  • Hi,

You mean with "sometimes it works properly and sometimes does not" is happened on the same machine or different machine?

If from the log cannot found anything, you can also try to use Process Monitor tool, look for something suspicious like access denied to registry key or destination folder

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645

Regards,
    Christian HL

Tuesday, August 13, 2013 1:36 AM
  • Hi Christian HL,

It was happening on the same machine.

Actually by mistake i had selected .net framework 4.0 instead of .net framework 4.0 client profile.

after changing it to .net framework 4.0 client profile, it is working on all machines.

but i'm not understanding the main problem, it was the .net framework problem or anything else.

Thanks,

Saurabh 

Tuesday, August 13, 2013 5:31 PM
  • Is by chance that the machine doesn't have .net framework 4.0 full installation?

If its works okay after you change to the correct framework, there is high possibility that its the cause.

Regards,
    Christian HL

Friday, August 16, 2013 2:00 AM
  • Hello Christian HL,

This issue is raising again even after changing the .net framework to client profile.

sometimes Installer is not putting all files in installation directory, after repair it works.

what is the main reason of this problem?

Thanks,

Saurabh

Monday, September 2, 2013 11:30 AM