none
(vb.net) - It is necessary for my application to be open source? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, I made an application in vb.net and I would like to know if it is necessary for my application to be open source?

Actually I want to make it freeware and therefore it will be closed source. Thank you.
    Wednesday, July 11, 2018 5:11 PM

Answers

• Hello! Thanks for answering.

Yes, I would like my license to be freeware (closed source), that is why I want to know if it is allowed to be closed code in vb.net. And what I will distribute is only the exe with two or three other files that my application need. Otherwise I will not upload the code to any git repository.

Everything I mentioned is fine?

You don't have to make an application using VB or C# open source.  That is only necessary when you are using free versions of 3rd party code in it as well, such as iTextSharp, etc.
    • Marked as answer by TamaraMtz Wednesday, July 11, 2018 6:13 PM
    Wednesday, July 11, 2018 6:07 PM

All replies

• Hi

So, you ask yourself a question, answer yourself, nothing left for the rest of us to do.

Do you always get such a good answer when you ask yourself questions?

Regards Les, Livingston, Scotland

Wednesday, July 11, 2018 5:21 PM
  • I am asking that if it is necessary to be open source, I want to do it in closed code, but maybe open source being a requirement. Unfortunately I am translating what I write and maybe I do not express myself well. :)

Still, I still have the same question Is it a requirement that an application created on vb.net be open source?
    Wednesday, July 11, 2018 5:34 PM
  • Hello,

The basics are with a) how you license the application b) do you distribute only binaries (.exe, .dll etc.) or c) creating a repo (repository) on GitHub for others to branch from? 

An example of a repo I did on GitHub.

https://github.com/karenpayneoregon/VisualBasicNewTuples

Karen Payne MVP (using work account)

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem.

Wednesday, July 11, 2018 5:54 PM

Yes, I would like my license to be freeware (closed source), that is why I want to know if it is allowed to be closed code in vb.net. And what I will distribute is only the exe with two or three other files that my application need. Otherwise I will not upload the code to any git repository.

Wednesday, July 11, 2018 6:04 PM

You don't have to make an application using VB or C# open source.  That is only necessary when you are using free versions of 3rd party code in it as well, such as iTextSharp, etc.
    • Marked as answer by TamaraMtz Wednesday, July 11, 2018 6:13 PM
  • Hi

You can distribute your application as either open source or closed source - it is entirely up to you.

You DO NOT need to make it open source.

Regards Les, Livingston, Scotland

• ryanbesko, Thank you! The only thing I had mentioned is that I was using visual studio community. But you have understood me perfect, thank you
    • Edited by TamaraMtz Wednesday, July 11, 2018 6:17 PM
    Wednesday, July 11, 2018 6:15 PM