none
VS - Windows Desktop Development, what's next?

Question

• For C# Windows Desktop Development, as far as I know, people are using WPF (as a UI) technology for development desktop application.

Q1: So, what's next after WPF?  or WPF is the most suitable technology currently?

Q2: For C++ windows desktop development, I don't see the WPF option available.  Am I wrong? Is there a reason for this?

I hope someone can solve the questions I have. 

Thanks ~

Thursday, March 23, 2017 2:54 AM

Answers

• Hi iHandler,

Welcome to MSDN forum.

>>Q1: So, what's next after WPF?  or WPF is the most suitable technology currently?

It’s hard to say what is next after WPF, in WPF every single UI component is highly customizable. You can completely rewrite a controls’ look and behavior by simply editing or altering its XAML template which is better than winforms, and WPF also has many the other advantages. I recommend you could pay attention to WFP team blog and Developer Tools Blogs.

>>Q2: For C++ windows desktop development, I don't see the WPF option available.  Am I wrong? Is there a reason for this?

Yes, there is no WPF template in c++ section in visual studio. Please have a look at the thread: https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/be26e7d3-15bc-494f-9af4-82b61c11311f/development-desktop-app-using-wpf-and-c?forum=vcgeneral

Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) provides a rich environment for creating applications. However, when you have a substantial investment in Win32 code, it might be more effective to add WPF functionality to your application rather than rewriting your original code. WPF provides a straightforward mechanism for hosting WPF content in a Win32 window.

Best regards,

Joyce

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by iHandler Friday, March 24, 2017 2:36 AM
    Thursday, March 23, 2017 8:23 AM