WEC7: Firewall RRS feed

• Question

• I am running WEC7 on Windows Virtual PC. I have a working web server in the OS and right now, I am trying to block all connections to the web server. So, I enabled the SYSGEN_FIREWALL, so the ce.bib included the firewall.dll and the reginit.ini included all the firewall default registry settings. From my understand the default settings should block all inbound connection to the device.

However, I still can access the web site and ping it from my desktop computer hosting the Virtual PC.

1. Does the firewall block connection from private network IP address?
    2. I noticed that the registry settings for WEC7 firewall are now located in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Comm\Tcpip\Firewall\Rules\<RuleName> and for earlier versions was located in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Comm\Firewall\Rules\<Rule Name>. Did they change for WEC7? I also added the initial registry settings of both location to the reginit.ini, and I still had no success.
    3. Does WEC7 requires fw6 and fwapi modules for the firewall? I don't seem to find those files any more and apparently it is not called anywhere either.

Any answer would be helpful. Thank you for your time.

Wednesday, September 28, 2011 8:04 PM

Answers