SharePoint Performance services requirement- SQL analysis services RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Everyone,

I have a question I was hoping someone would verify the answer to. One of the requirements for setting up Performance Point services is for there to be a SQL analysis service instance that sharepoint interacts with. This is particularly true if want to create dashboards that are Dynamic(Please correct me if I am wrong).My question is, must SQL analysis in sharepoint mode be used instead of any other form of SQL analysis services, for performance point services to work at all or is it the case that other forms of SQL analysis services mode( ie Tabular and Multidimentional) will work but function will be limited?

Thanks,

Dominic 

Tuesday, April 21, 2015 12:15 PM

All replies

• Hi Dominic,

According to your description, you need to know if SQL analysis in SharePoint mode is must or we can use other form of SQL analysis services in PerformancePoint Services in SharePoint Server, right?

PerformancePoint Services in SharePoint Server 2013 supports PowerPivot models as a data source. You can use data in a PowerPivot model and build interactive dashboards using PerformancePoint Services features such as Key Performance Indicators (KPIs), Scorecards, Analytic Charts, Analytic Grids and Filters. So if you need to use PowerPivot models as a data source, then first you need to install PowerPivot for SharePoint which is an Analysis Services instance.

In your scenario, what do you mean by "other form of SQL analysis services"? Pleas elaborate it, so that we can make further analysis. Here are some useful links for you reference.
    https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj219067.aspx
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff191197.aspx

Regards,
    Charlie Liao

If you have any feedback on our support, please click here.

Charlie Liao
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, April 23, 2015 6:28 AM
  • Hi Charlie,

Thanks for your response and apologies for late response. I manage a SharePoint environment in which its backend DB solution is SQL server 2012 standard edition. Of late I have been trying to explore the business intelligence aspect of SharePoint. In respect to BI tools for SharePoint such as Performance Point, I would like to know the limitation of using these tools in conjuction with the SQL analysis services of SQL server 2012 standard as opposed to SQL analysis services of SQL server 2012 BI or Enterprise edition?

I need to be able to be able to build interactive dashboards using Performance Point services (with all its features as you have mentioned).To take advantage of these features must I install PowerPivot  for SharePoint? If I must, is there a cheaper option other than getting it through SQL server  2012 enterprise edition?

Thanks,

Dominic

Friday, May 1, 2015 10:31 AM