TF31004: Can't connect to TFS over a VPN? RRS feed

• Question

• Everything is installed and working on the server. I even installed Team Explorer on the server and am able to connect successfully. I am having difficulty connecting to it over a VPN, though.

Example of issue I'm seeing:
    My TFS WE server is named myTFS, in the mydomain domain on our corporate servers (it is not publicly visible).
    My workstation is myworkstation and located in the mydomain-dev domain at my office. I connect up to the mydomain domain via a VPN, where our internal Sharepoint is located, our Exchange server, etc. For example, after logging into my own workstation, I connect the VPN (Cisco v4.8.00.0440) and then open up Outlook 2003 and am prompted for my mydomain domain user credentials. When I open up VS 2005, with the Team Explorer installed from the TFS WE media, I get the following error message:
    "TF31004: Team Foundation encountered an unexpected error while connecting to Team Foundation Server myTFS. Wait a few minutes and try again. If the problem persists, contact your Team Foundation Server administrator."
    I've added my mydomain domain user account to the Valid Licensed User group membership and I can log into the myTFS server under that account and use Team Explorer successfully. What I can't do, is from my workstation in mydomain-dev connect to the myTFS server, through the VPN, and get an authentication prompt (since obivously my mydomain-dev and mydomain accounts are different). Is this even possible.

Creating a trust relationship between the domains is not an option.

I can connect to http://myTFS:8080 from myworkstation without problems through IE or Firefox and I get the NTLM authentication prompt/dialog. 

What I'm not understanding is why I'm not getting a NTLM credential authentication dialog since the accounts don't match. And since there is no way to specify the user account in the "Connect to Team Foundation Server..." dialog, I don't see a way around this.

btw, This is Team Foundation Server Workgroup Edition installed in a Active Directory domain (on Windows 2003 Std. SP1)

Has anyone been able to get VPN access to work when the domains and accounts don't match between the server and the accessing workstation? Am I doing something wrong?
    Tuesday, June 6, 2006 10:46 PM

Answers