none
[E2010] VERPs and Exchange RRS feed

• Question

• Does anyone know if VERPs are possible with Exchange?

I ask because I am writing a component to send out emails and process responses. For any bounce backs, I need to make sure we don't email them again -- to stay of spam lists. It seems that VERPs are the best way to do that, however I don't know how to get it to work with Exchange.

Specifically, I am sending out directly to our SMTP server (via the SmtpClient class in C#).  These are delivered fine and (so long as I don't implement a variable address in the outgoing message) the recipient can reply to the message and Exchange will deliver their reply into the correct inbox.  If I do implement VERPs the recipient does recieve the message, but if they reply Exchange won't deliver the message.  They recieve a 550 5.1.1 RESOLVER.ADR.RecipNotFound instead.

To give you an idea of how I altered the return path, lets assume the working mailbox is user@domain.com.  The altered return path I used was user+uniqueId@domain.com.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Paul

• Edited by Paul W. Coleman Saturday, June 18, 2011 4:26 AM added extra information about how the address was altered.
    Thursday, June 16, 2011 8:07 PM