Remove embedded images RRS feed

• Question

• User1440802869 posted

Hi everyone,
    Looking for some advice and guidance here. Our website was built by a company who are no longer in business and no one else local to us is able to help as no one works with ASP.NET which we've just learned that our website is built on. We have membership logos embedded into our website and I need to remove some that are due to lapse and add new ones we've joined. Our website is being run through windows with plesk and I can't find where these are located. Any hints as to where these would be found? They come up on every page in the same place so they must be in one place that links all pages? I'd really appreciate any help anyone could offer as the only solution being offered at the mo is a complete site rebuild on wordpress. Please be kind as I'm not a developer and would need any help to be offered as idiot proof as possible. Thanks so much.
    Monday, September 16, 2019 9:22 AM

Answers

• User-821857111 posted

It's difficult to provide help without knowing more about the web site that you have. ASP.NET has been around since 2002, and there have been many different versions of the framework. Some of them are updatable from the files deployed to the web server, and other versions are not. You will most likely need to hire a developer who is familiar with ASP.NET just to look at the files on your web server to tell you whether they can be modified.

The chances are, in any event, that you will need a complete rewrite of the application at some stage if you don't have access to the original source files.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Monday, September 16, 2019 11:45 AM

All replies

• User-821857111 posted

It's difficult to provide help without knowing more about the web site that you have. ASP.NET has been around since 2002, and there have been many different versions of the framework. Some of them are updatable from the files deployed to the web server, and other versions are not. You will most likely need to hire a developer who is familiar with ASP.NET just to look at the files on your web server to tell you whether they can be modified.

The chances are, in any event, that you will need a complete rewrite of the application at some stage if you don't have access to the original source files.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Monday, September 16, 2019 11:45 AM
  • User1440802869 posted

Thanks so much for your reply. Our website was built in 2016 so it's not that old or maybe it is in website years! I have since found one company who can help but it's quite a hefty bill for removing the little logos. Was hoping I could have done it myself as I have been able to add security and ssl certification without any issue (self learning along the way) but this is all way over my head with all the specific coding. If I knew what I was looking for, I'm sure I could have sussed it but I think I will have to admit defeat on this one! Cheers for your advice 

Monday, September 16, 2019 6:39 PM
  • User409696431 posted

If the logos are on every page, it is likely they are on a master page that all the other pages use. If your site is a "compile on demand" site, you could, indeed edit it yourself, being careful to not change any of the markup related to the master page itself, such as <asp:ContentPlaceHolder ...> tags.  You could also do this if it was precompiled with an updateable option.  Otherwise, you need the source files that are not on the server to make changes and publish them.

Master pages have ".master" as the file extension, and you will see a reference to them in the source of the .aspx files, in the @Page declaration at the top of the page.

Monday, September 16, 2019 11:52 PM