none
Relationship(inheritance , association) between 2 deferent entity models RRS feed

• Question

• hi,

I had a base Entity Model that i use in multiple projects , its contained in a class library , and i add a refrance to that calss library in each project .

each project will add new entities and relation to the base model ,

My question is: if i created a special model for each project , that i add the new entity for that project , how can i make association , inheritance, from the project model to that base model ?

• Edited by Hani Safa Friday, December 7, 2012 10:53 AM
    Friday, December 7, 2012 10:49 AM

Answers

• Hi Hanisafa,

Since you are using Model First, you have the edmx file in your dll project. Then you reference this dll. How can you add a scalar property to the entities, because you cannot see the edmx file and designer. If you want to use code inheritance, I do not recommend you use Model First approach and Code First approach simultaneously. Do you want to generate the new database in new project?

Best Regards,

Alexander Sun [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Marked as answer by Hani Safa Saturday, June 15, 2013 8:29 PM
    Sunday, December 16, 2012 7:41 AM

All replies

• Hi Hanisafa,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

First, are you use Code First approach?

Second, I am not sure what address is. In the base model, I only find country and city entities. If you want to create an association with an entity in base model from child model, I think, it is not possible. Since the entities in base model do not have the corresponding navigation properties for new entities.

Have a nice day.

Alexander Sun [MSFT]
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Monday, December 10, 2012 6:32 AM
  • thanks for your time, I'm using model first approach. the base model is a set of entities and relations that i could use in every new project , but, every new project must add new entities and connect to existing ones from the base model. the country is an entity the has some files ,phone code , area measurement,flag ,... city is an entity that is related to country , it has phone code ,.... now these 2 entities can be used in 2 deferent applications : project 1 is application that handle some person info , that person has an address with has a country .. project 2 handle shipment , shipments has sender and receiver address , with in tern has country -> city my question is: can the base model entires (country and city) be in a separate , common file , so if i need to add ,let say , a scaler property for city (main post office location) i don it in one place instead of going to the 2 project. hope i managed to explain my point
    Tuesday, December 11, 2012 3:00 PM
  • Hi Hanisafa,

Since you are using Model First, you have the edmx file in your dll project. Then you reference this dll. How can you add a scalar property to the entities, because you cannot see the edmx file and designer. If you want to use code inheritance, I do not recommend you use Model First approach and Code First approach simultaneously. Do you want to generate the new database in new project?

Best Regards,

Alexander Sun [MSFT]

• Marked as answer by Hani Safa Saturday, June 15, 2013 8:29 PM
    Sunday, December 16, 2012 7:41 AM