none
Ms-Access save calculated total in table RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a form wherein i am getting a calculated total in a textbox.

The question is how to store that calulated value in a table.

Thanks.

DeeZ

Friday, June 22, 2018 6:47 AM

All replies

• Hello deepusurana,

What's the calculated total? How do you get it? You said store it in a table, what's the table?

Best Regards,

Terry

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, June 22, 2018 7:22 AM
  • Calculated total is a formula i have applied on the textbox. Its just multiplication of some numbers. Its like total of Quantity and Amount. I need to save this amount in a table field .

The control source of the text box is : =[Invoice Detail Table Subform].[Form]![Total]

Now i need to push the total in the table to save it.

DeeZ

Friday, June 22, 2018 7:40 AM
  • Hi DeeZ,

Storing calculated values in tables is against normalization rules. However, if you're using Access 2010 or higher, you can create a Calculated Field in the table, if the value you're trying to derive can be obtained from the fields in the same table. For example, if your table has fields like Price and Qty and you want to know the Total Cost, you could create a Calculated field with something like: [Price] * [Qty].

Hope it helps...

Friday, June 22, 2018 2:41 PM
  • Hi deepusurana,

If you do not want a calculated field in the table - as advised by TheDBguy - you can also create a query that includes an alias, for example TotalPrice: [Price] * [Qty].

Friday, June 22, 2018 5:46 PM
  • Hi deepusurana,

If you do not want a calculated field in the table - as advised by TheDBguy - you can also create a query that includes an alias, for example TotalPrice: [Price] * [Qty].

How can this be done on a form?

DeeZ

Monday, June 25, 2018 7:04 AM
  • Simply, base the form on the query with the calculated field.
    Monday, June 25, 2018 7:12 AM
  • Simply, base the form on the query with the calculated field.

Can you please send some link to see how it can be done. Thanks.

DeeZ

Tuesday, June 26, 2018 5:30 AM
  • The subject that concerns your problem is a simple basic fact that you need to know. Of course I can teach you how to create a form whose RecordSource is set to a table or query, and I could also give you a course here, but that is not the intention of this forum. My advice is that - before you start building an Access application - you will take a course or buy a good book …

I wish you good luck with your project.

Tuesday, June 26, 2018 9:11 AM
  • Hello DeeZ,

Hope below simple demonstration could be helpful for you.

Calculated Field

Query

Best Regards,

Terry

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, June 28, 2018 9:47 AM