How can I simulate SQL Server interruption ? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Expert,

For testing purpose i would like to simulate an interruption of my SQL Azure instances (this is not a VM).

Is there any way to set my SQL Server Azure as 'Inactive' so that my code will try to reach another SQL Server Azure on another datacenter for instance ?

If we cannot set as 'Inactive' could you share with me how you would do it ?

Regards,
    Terry

Tuesday, September 1, 2015 12:10 PM

Answers

• You could simulate that by blocking access to your database by removing the allowed ip addresses (including the Azure services itself) inside the SQL Server Firewall settings.

See here for more info: https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/articles/sql-database-configure-firewall-settings/

• Marked as answer by terry Caps Tuesday, September 1, 2015 12:44 PM
    Tuesday, September 1, 2015 12:22 PM
  • Hi,

Simple suggestion:

You could simulate it by blocking access to your Azure SQL database(s) via the firewall settings

For example, you could write some tests scripts that turn the firewall on/off and you could check the behaviour of your app(s) while this happens. 

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

Carlos

Best Regards,
    Carlos Sardo

Tuesday, September 1, 2015 12:28 PM

All replies

• You could simulate that by blocking access to your database by removing the allowed ip addresses (including the Azure services itself) inside the SQL Server Firewall settings.

See here for more info: https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/articles/sql-database-configure-firewall-settings/

• Marked as answer by terry Caps Tuesday, September 1, 2015 12:44 PM
    Tuesday, September 1, 2015 12:22 PM
  • Hi,

Simple suggestion:

You could simulate it by blocking access to your Azure SQL database(s) via the firewall settings

For example, you could write some tests scripts that turn the firewall on/off and you could check the behaviour of your app(s) while this happens. 

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

Carlos

Best Regards,
    Carlos Sardo

Tuesday, September 1, 2015 12:28 PM
  • Thanks a lot Blue Basher I remember to get failed connection with my SQL Azure DB because of Firewall. I completely forget this method :)
    Tuesday, September 1, 2015 12:44 PM
  • Thanks Carlos also  for your help. As I replied previously to Blue I completely forget to use Firewall method :)

Regards,
    terry

Tuesday, September 1, 2015 12:45 PM