none
Importing Resource utilization data from a flat file RRS feed

• Question

• Good day. My team is in the process of deploying a project server solution in support of our top initiatives. For these initiatives, we are planning on tracking resource availability based on project utilization. The challenge is that these resources currently track their time/utilization in another tool. On one hand, I know that I could simply assume a certain % of available time per week to put into project; however, their capacity changes daily due to vacations, training, time in queue for support calls, etc.

With that being said, is there an effective way to export the resource data from another tool and import it into project to set the baseline for resource availability. In other words, can I import a report from another system that communicates that resource 1 has 10 of 40 hours available, due to work on project A (10), B (10), and C(10). I then want to pull that data into project, so that the availability for a project is 10 hours. As a final nugget (smile), I would then want for the resource to be able to track their time in the secondary tool and have their update (e.g. I spent 5 of the available 10 hours) on Task D be imported into Project. Is that possible?

Thanks,

Ron

Monday, March 3, 2014 9:34 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Over the past 15 years, I've been writing VBA procedures to do that so in principle I could say yes; however, all solutions imply programming; you have to find out how to address the data in "the other tool"; but the very greatest problem is to have a one-by-one relationship of projects, tasks and resources between the two tools:  nothing is easy.

So possibe, yes; easy by no means.

Greetings,

Tuesday, March 4, 2014 6:54 PM