"An error has occured in <workflow name>" When Trying to assign a ToDo item. RRS feed

• Question

• Getting the following error everytime: An error has occured in <workflow name>

To reproduce, I've created a single workflow with no conditions and only 1 step, to assign a workflow task to a user when a new item is created. 

I have isolated the problem to the following: it has to do with the currently designated workflow task list, which is currently set to the default task list "Tasks".  The problem is solved when creating a new task list. However, this is not a viable solution as I already have many workflows and users using the designated task list. 

What can I do?  Please help!

• Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Tuesday, March 15, 2011 1:18 AM Actual error message added to title in replace of "workflow error"
    Monday, March 14, 2011 11:18 PM

Answers

• Hi flipman619,

Could you please provide the ULS logs? Because there different reasons will cause workflows run into an error.

1.       You probably give a reduplicative task name in the tasks list.

2.       Users who start the workflow do not have write permission in the tasks list.

3.       If Assign a To-do item action attached to the Tasks list, and have also configured the workflow to start automatically when a new item is created at the same time, it will cause the workflow to run in a continuous loop. Because if the workflow starts when a user creates a task in the Tasks list, the workflow will create another task, which results in another instance of the workflow.

Thanks & Regards,
    Emir

• Marked as answer by David HM Wednesday, March 23, 2011 7:06 AM
    Wednesday, March 16, 2011 7:30 AM