Can we use Unit Test Project for UI automation using Selenium web driver in VS 2017 professional? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Previously we are working with Coded UI automation.

Now with Latest VS 2017 we got support for Selenium.

So we are planning convert Coded UI automation test to selenium test using Unit Test project and selenium web driver.

Can we use Unit Test Project for UI automation using Selenium web driver in VS 2017 professional?

and also Associating test cases with test methods when using [TestClass] rather [CodedUITest] as Attribute.

Please suggest the process further.

Friday, March 2, 2018 4:01 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I can tell what I am using Selenium Webdriver in VS 2017 and split the solution in Multiple Unit test projects.

Furthermore, we are also doing the association of the UI tests (selenium) with the TFS test cases.

Check this: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/vsts/build-release/test/continuous-test-selenium 

• Marked as answer by Vegi Satish Saturday, March 3, 2018 12:59 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Vegi Satish Saturday, March 3, 2018 3:40 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Mihai Boz Monday, March 5, 2018 3:49 PM
    Friday, March 2, 2018 7:07 AM
  • Hi Vegi Satish,

>> Can we use Unit Test Project for UI automation using Selenium web driver in VS 2017 professional?

The answer is yes.

I test use unit test project for UI automation using selenium web driver in VS 2017 professional, it works fine.

You could connect test case via right click the test method in Test Explorer, click “Associate to Test Case”.

Reference: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/vsts/build-release/test/associate-automated-test-with-test-case

Regards,

Judyzh

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Edited by Judy ZhuY Friday, March 2, 2018 8:08 AM
    • Marked as answer by Vegi Satish Saturday, March 3, 2018 12:59 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Vegi Satish Saturday, March 3, 2018 3:40 AM
    Friday, March 2, 2018 8:06 AM
  • Hi Vegi Satish,

I saw you mark my reply as an answer, and you unmark it.

Is my reply not help for you?

Could you please share the latest information of your issue, I will do everything I can help you to resolved your issue.

Regards,

Judyzh

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, March 6, 2018 1:57 AM
  • Hi Vegi Satish,

If my previous reply could not help you, please refer to following workaround to connect test method with test case.

Please open the project test case, go to tab “ASSOCIATED AUTOMATION”, choose the test method to add in “Choose Test” dialog box.

More information, please reference:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd380741.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

If you have any other questions, please feel free let me know. And, if my reply could help you, please mark it as an answer.

Your understanding and cooperation are very grateful.

Regards,

Judyzh

MSDN Community Support

• Proposed as answer by Judy ZhuY Monday, March 12, 2018 9:14 AM
    Monday, March 12, 2018 8:13 AM