none
PPT 2010 Save as Web Page and TargetBrowser(s) RRS feed

• Question

• I'm using the following code export a Powerpoint 2010 presentation to HTML.  It works, but I cannot figure out what I need to change or add to add the old option that saved it to be viewable in older browsers.  I need the presentation to work in both IE and FF, however, it only works in IE.  Does anybody know how I can do it so it will export and be viewable in ALL browsers?

Sub PublishWeb()
    With Application.DefaultWebOptions
        .FrameColors = ppFrameColorsPresentationSchemeTextColor
        .IncludeNavigation = msoFalse
        .ResizeGraphics = msoTrue
        .HTMLVersion = ppHTMLDual
        .TargetBrowser = msoTargetBrowserV3
    End With
    With ActivePresentation
        .WebOptions.FrameColors = ppFrameColorsPresentationSchemeTextColor
        .WebOptions.IncludeNavigation = msoTrue
        .WebOptions.ResizeGraphics = msoTrue
        .WebOptions.RelyOnVML = msoFalse
        .WebOptions.AllowPNG = msoFalse
        .WebOptions.HTMLVersion = ppHTMLDual
        .WebOptions.TargetBrowser = msoTargetBrowserV3
        With .PublishObjects(1)
            .FileName = "C:\full\path\to\filename.htm"
            .SourceType = ppPublishAll
            .SpeakerNotes = msoTrue
            .Publish
        End With
    End With
    End Sub
    Thanks!
    Wednesday, April 18, 2012 5:01 PM

Answers

• Hi,

To save the presentation as a single html file, you can update the file extension to .mht.

You mentioned that the converted htm file doesn't present some background image in good format. I think the converted file could not work for extremly old version browsers.  But I'm still curious which browser, which version run into format issue?  According to this article, IE 3.0 is the oldest version.  http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel-help/HV080554693.aspx

best regards,

Forrest Guo | MSDN Community Support | Feedback to manager

Thursday, April 26, 2012 1:32 PM

All replies

• Hi DLMS55,

Thank you for posting in MSDN Forum.

I have tried to reproduce the scenario you described, however the html file generated by the Macro is viewable in my Firefox browser. Can you give some more detailed description? It will be nice if you can give me some screenshots.

Best Regards,

Quist

Thursday, April 19, 2012 8:08 AM
  • Sorry for the delay in replying ... Since initially posting the question, I decided to try and do the conversion using PPT2007 on my other PC.  After conversion it worked great so I sent the converted files over to my work PC and still the same problem with display occured.

It was then I realized the problem may not entirely be with the conversion, but with the browser version - that is the only difference between the two machines.  However, I'm still confused why the conversion - even when the oldest target browser is set - does not just convert as single images like it used to.

DLMS

Tuesday, April 24, 2012 6:31 PM
  • Hi DLMS55,

Thank you for your last reply.

According to what you described, I suppose that you only have the filename.html file sent to the other computer.

After you run the Macro you’ll get a folder named filename_files as well as filename.html in the same directory. The folder contains the essential files you need to display the filename.html. If you have lost the filename_files folder, then the browser is unable to show the content. So, remember to send the filename_files folder at the same time when you send the html file, and make sure that the folder and the html file are in the same directory.

Hope it helps.

Best Regards,
    Quist

Quist Zhang [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Wednesday, April 25, 2012 10:07 AM
  • No - I have (and always have) transferred ALL files - been working with converted MSO files for years so I'm well aware of the *_files folder created.

If I turn RelyOnVML and PNG OFF and set msoTargetBrowser to the lowest possible, it will will not display properly in an older browser.  I've tried every option I can think of turning on/off to no avail - the background images in the PPT don't show up or they do but appear off-screen/mis-aligned, text is jumbled up on top of each other (one line on top of another on top of another).  I've attached an image from each browser (first is FF) - text has been blurred (confidential info), but you can see how they display differently in each browser.

DLMS

Wednesday, April 25, 2012 2:08 PM
  • Hi,

To save the presentation as a single html file, you can update the file extension to .mht.

You mentioned that the converted htm file doesn't present some background image in good format. I think the converted file could not work for extremly old version browsers.  But I'm still curious which browser, which version run into format issue?  According to this article, IE 3.0 is the oldest version.  http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel-help/HV080554693.aspx

best regards,

Forrest Guo | MSDN Community Support | Feedback to manager

Thursday, April 26, 2012 1:32 PM