none
Path variables which have folder name with spaces are not recognised....thats my assumption RRS feed

• Question

• We were recently testing a java application.  I created a folder with space in the folder name ( for eg. ER Tool) and deployed the application jars in that location. Then added the path to the path environment variable. But the application was not generating the desired result. Then I changed the folder name to ER-Tool and redeployed the application jars there and changed the path variable accordingly.

From the abovr excersice, it makes me ponder on the fact whether this is a microsoft bug that it allows us name folders having spaces while naming. But does not recognise the same path defined in path variable, due to the space. I wanted to know if this hypothesis of mine is correct ?

Wednesday, December 28, 2011 10:31 AM

All replies

• I believe you can use spaces in environment variables, as Program Files exists in the %PATH% (do echo %PATH% at the DOS prompt) by default.

sivilian

Thursday, December 29, 2011 2:10 PM
  • I agree with sivilian. I do not think there is any restriction of spaces in environment variables.  I think it might be something else that caused the application not to generate desired results.

Thursday, December 29, 2011 8:02 PM