none
a library of rdlc reports RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

A rdlc file can be either an alone file (XML file) or embedded in code.

Is it possible to store rdlc (which is XML file) directly in a table in a database SQL Server (in such database we can store XML fields) ?

With that, we can do a library of rdlc reports.

We can embedded rdlc in code but it is better to separate code and data (rdlc is data). Over more, we can't change by code, during runtime, a rdlc if it is embedded.

Are there some samples about that ?  I didn't find.

Thanks

Dominique

Thursday, August 20, 2009 8:30 AM

Answers

• hi
     so did u find the solution ?

thanks
    anlis
    Regards anliS www.businessinsightsconsulting.com Please remember to mark the correct replies as answers
    • Marked as answer by dg78 Friday, August 28, 2009 4:02 PM
    Friday, August 28, 2009 2:33 PM

All replies

• Nobody to answer ??
    Tuesday, August 25, 2009 6:58 AM
  • Hi

Difference between RDL and RDLC formats?
     Ans: RDL files are created by the SQL Server 2005 version of Report Designer. RDLC files are created by the Visual Studio 2008 version of Report Designer. RDL and RDLC formats have the same XML schema. However, in RDLC files, some values (such as query text) are allowed to be empty, which means that they are not immediately ready to be published to a Report Server. The missing values can be entered by opening the RDLC file using the SQL Server 2005 version of Report Designer. (You have to rename .rdlc to .rdl first.) RDL files are fully compatible with the ReportViewer control runtime. However, RDL files do not contain some information that the design-time of the ReportViewer control depends on for automatically generating data-binding code. By manually binding data, RDL files can be used in the ReportViewer control. Note that the ReportViewer control does not contain any logic for connecting to databases or executing queries. By separating out such logic, the ReportViewer has been made compatible with all data sources, including non-database data sources. However this means that when an RDL file is used by the ReportViewer control, the SQL related information in the RDL file is simply ignored by the control. It is the host application's responsibility to connect to databases, execute queries and supply data to the ReportViewer control in the form of ADO.NET DataTables.

The C in RDLC stands for Client-side processing. RDL stands for Report Definition Language.

Refer this links for additional Info
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms252067.aspx
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms252109.aspx

Does this help?
    Thanks
    anliS

Regards anliS www.businessinsightsconsulting.com Please remember to mark the correct replies as answers
    • Edited by silna Tuesday, August 25, 2009 1:57 PM
    Tuesday, August 25, 2009 1:48 PM
  • Thanks, anlis, for your answer.

I was not very clear in my question.

I use only rdlc (not rdl). So all my reports are rdlc : reports01.rdlc, reports02.rdlc, reports03.rdlc, reports04.rdlc …

Instead to have many files rdlc, I asked me if it is a good idea to store these rdlc files in a table inside a Sql Server database. One rdlc file by record in this table in a XML field.

For example, table ListReports with Fields :

- Id

- Name  (of the report)

- Content  (of the report = the XML)

Is anybody use that ?

Thanks

Dominique

Tuesday, August 25, 2009 5:28 PM
  • hi

i m not sure about the answer to this
    refer this link
    http://www.codeproject.com/KB/cs/reportdisplay.aspx?msg=2849219

Is this wht u r looking for

Thanks
    anlis
    Thursday, August 27, 2009 5:36 AM
  • Hi anlis,

Yes it is exactly what I am looking for.

Thanks

Dominique
    Thursday, August 27, 2009 9:27 PM
  • hi
     so did u find the solution ?

thanks
    anlis
    • Marked as answer by dg78 Friday, August 28, 2009 4:02 PM
    Friday, August 28, 2009 2:33 PM
  • Yes, I mark this reply as answer.

Thanks
    Friday, August 28, 2009 4:02 PM