none
Upgrading SQL Server 2005 Enterprise to SQL Server 2008 R2 Enterprise RRS feed

• Question

• I have SQL Server 2005 Enterprise SP2 64-bit installed on a failover cluster. I’m planning to upgrade directly to SQL Server 2008 R2 Enterprise 64-bit. I have database datafiles on Mount Points - NTFS Junction Points. So far, I haven’t seen any mention of issues regarding NTFS Junction Points or mount points. Has anyone performed this upgrade or do you know of any issues upgrading SQL Server 2005 to 2008 R2 with database data residing on NTFS Junction Points? The OS is Windows Server 2003 R2 x64 SP2.
    Thursday, July 1, 2010 2:58 PM

Answers

• Hi Anthony,

“Mount Points” and “NTFS Junction Point” are two features of NTFS file system.

By using “Mount Points” and “NTFS junction point”, we could set up relationship between folder and volume or between folder and folder. After the setup, the content between these two place is identical.

These two features are low-level technique. In the level above file system, the folder will always be treated as normal folder and the drive will always be treated as normal drive.

The SQL Server 2005 and later versions will always treat these folder and drive as normal folder and drive too. In other words, it will not impact the upgrade from SQL Server 2005 to SQL Server 2008.

If anything is unclear, please let me know.

Monday, July 5, 2010 8:41 AM

All replies

• Hi Anthony,

“Mount Points” and “NTFS Junction Point” are two features of NTFS file system.

By using “Mount Points” and “NTFS junction point”, we could set up relationship between folder and volume or between folder and folder. After the setup, the content between these two place is identical.

These two features are low-level technique. In the level above file system, the folder will always be treated as normal folder and the drive will always be treated as normal drive.

The SQL Server 2005 and later versions will always treat these folder and drive as normal folder and drive too. In other words, it will not impact the upgrade from SQL Server 2005 to SQL Server 2008.

If anything is unclear, please let me know.

Monday, July 5, 2010 8:41 AM
  • Hi Tom,

Thank you  for the replay. I feel better about the in place upgrade now.

Wednesday, July 7, 2010 8:06 PM