none
Multilingual search - not all language results are returned RRS feed

• Question

• We have a document search solution which brings results based on specific managed metadata term tagged. We use SharePoint Search Results web part.

There are documents in English, French, German, Russian, and Chinese. The documents in all languages except Chinese are returned. If I switch to Chinese as my browser language though, only Chinese documents are returned.

So if this is a feature to bring relevant results based on the language,

- why are documents in French, German and Russian returned when my current culture is en-US? 

- more importantly, what could I do to return all language results? I have tried exporting the Search results web part, set invariant culture (127) as the FallbackLanguage, but the result is similar to having English as my browser language.

Thanks.

Wednesday, August 29, 2018 10:04 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

In SharePoint 2013 the search results webpart by default uses the client browser language for showing search results, word trimming, stemming etc.
    In addition, the search results will only respect the locale of the web of the content that is being crawled, so you will only get results searching for the Spanish label for a turn if content tagged with that term was in a Spanish site. This ties in with the managed property being a text value of what the value was at the time of crawl.
    Therefore there might not be a solution for your case currently.

Two similar threads for your reference:
    https://collab365.community/forum/topics/managed-metadata-multiple-languages-and-search/
    https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/sharepoint/en-US/765567c0-17a7-45a0-807d-e16a4e17f542/search-result-for-different-language?forum=sharepointsearch

Best regards,
    Sarah Yang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Marked as answer by Anas T Tuesday, September 4, 2018 9:58 AM
    Thursday, August 30, 2018 8:39 AM

• Thank you Sarah, for confirming what I thought is a behaviour of SharePoint and not something I could fix. Though, I struggle to agree that 'the search results will only respect the locale of the web of the content that is being crawled', because I could see Chinese document results when I switch my browser language to Chinese.

Anyways, I have designed a workaround to force the search crawler to treat Chinese documents as English (by mapping a value to the 'Language' managed property). Together with FallbackLanguage of the webpart set to English or Invariant, I could now bring all the results!

Best regards, Anas

• Marked as answer by Anas T Tuesday, September 4, 2018 9:58 AM
    Friday, August 31, 2018 2:46 PM
  • Hi Anas,

You could mark the useful reply as an answer.

It will help others who meet the similar question in this forum.

Best regards,

Sarah Yang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Monday, September 3, 2018 8:08 AM