none
secpushpop.i not found

Question

• Hello,

sometimes during debugging, the debugger is triggering a breakpoint and is asking for the file "secpushpop.i".

Can we safely ignore this and disable the compiler option GS?

We're using WEC2013 on an ARM iMX6 with Visual Studio 2013.

• Edited by haide_biz Tuesday, June 21, 2016 9:34 AM
    • Moved by IoTGirl Tuesday, June 21, 2016 5:34 PM Not Smart Device Specific
    Tuesday, June 21, 2016 9:29 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Haide_biz,

I have done a search of my enlistment and I don't have a file called "Secpushpop.i". This leads me to believe this a VS file/issue so I am moving it to their forum to see if we can get some insight there. 

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

Tuesday, June 21, 2016 5:33 PM
  • Hi haide_biz,

I also couldn't find this file in my side, could you find this file in your windows? Whether your project has some third party library references?

For the source file not found or not available error, maybe you could see this document:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/3sehk0fb.aspx

If it really has no source file, you could ignore it with some settings in the VS IDE.

In addition, the debugger looks for source files in the following locations:

1. Files that are open in the IDE of the Visual Studio instance that launched the debugger.

2. Files in the solution that is open in the Visual Studio instance.

3. Directories that are specified in the Common Properties / Debug Source Files page in the properties of the solution. (In the Solution Explorer, select the solution node, right-click, and select Properties. )

4. The source information of the .pdb of the module. This can be the location of the source file when the module was built, or it can be a command to a source server.

So you need to check that whether you saved the source file to the correct path for your projects.

Reference:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms241613.aspx

In addition, like the document you provided, /GS is on by default. If you expect your application to have no security exposure, use /GS-.

Best Regards,

Jack

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, June 23, 2016 7:40 AM
  • Hello Jack, thanks for your answer.

We don't have security concerns because our software is running on an embedded system under "Windows Embedded Compact 2013" on an ARM platform. Customers will not have direct access to the OS or the application.

I'm pretty sure that the file "secpushpop.i" is part of the MS libs for the ARM platform and i'm not interested in having the source for it (see screenshot below).

I'm just asking myself if i can safely turn off /GS for our project to get rid off these annoying breakpoints during debugging or if we have stack corruption bugs in our software which we need to find.

Thursday, June 23, 2016 11:42 AM
  • Hi haide_biz,

Not the real VC++ developer, for the issue:

>>Can we safely ignore this and disable the compiler option GS?

For this issue, like my previous reply: /GS is on by default. If you expect your application to have no security exposure, use /GS-.

>>I'm just asking myself if i can safely turn off /GS for our project to get rid off these annoying breakpoints during debugging or if we have stack corruption bugs in our software which we need to find.

But one issue is that if you don't want to step into certain function with breakpoints(not step into it), maybe you could refer to the following document/thread:

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/andypennell/2004/02/06/how-to-not-step-into-functions-using-the-visual-c-debugger/

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/626744/is-there-a-way-to-automatically-avoiding-stepping-into-certain-functions-in-visu

Best Regards,

Jack

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, June 24, 2016 2:52 AM