Reinstalling the Control Panel Metro App

Question

• I am really having a good time with windows 8.  Everything I needed to run it has installed perfectly.. Adobe Arobat Pro X, Photoshop CS5, Firefox, Notepad ++, Office 2010, CCleaner, Teamviewer and even my Windows Home Server Console for the H342, backing up as specified.  It has been amazing.

I did however, delete some items from the metro app area.  Including but not sure when the control panel.  I still have windows control panel but I no longer have access to the control panel metro app.  I would like to once again.

Is there a way to reinstall it, find it locally or on the installation DVD?  or once it is gone that is all she wrote?  Please advise.  I know I can do a system refresh without losing my files etc.. however, I would like to be able to just add back this one metro item.

Any help or suggestions are appreciated.

Kind regards,

Saxamo

Thursday, October 20, 2011 2:07 PM

Answers

All replies

• If you just removed the Control Panel Tile:

1. In Metro, search for the program by typing it name.
    2. Then when you see it on the left side right click it.
    3. At the bottom of the screen you can then pin it back to the Metro Start Menu.

Using a restore point may bring it back:

1. In Metro type Restore

2. Click Settings

3. Click Restore your computer to an earlier time

Thursday, October 20, 2011 3:57 PM
  • Thanks for the reply, but this is more in depth then that.  I need to be able to reinstall the control panel metro app.  I need to know where it is located on the drive ( hidden ) even if you told it to be uninstalled ( always someplace )

There are no restore points and it is not searchable.

I need location of where it was ( it is not inside hidden applications folder in program files directory all the other stuff is )

Where could it be :)

Kind regards,

Saxamo

Thursday, October 20, 2011 4:36 PM
  • You can look at the thread here that may have information that helps.
    http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsdeveloperpreviewgeneral/thread/6212fafa-9aca-404e-b268-a5af13eddf1b

Let us know if this helps

Marilyn
    Thursday, October 20, 2011 6:31 PM
  • Yup,

That works.. I thought I remembered there being something in "store".  Right now it just says that the store is not available in the preview.  If that is correct, then everything is back and working properly.  I think CCleaner might have removed these items and deleted them.  I am going to have to run it again and see if it disappears, then figure out which setting in CCleaner is causing it.  I know I did not remove those items manually.  Those are actually the 3 I kept along with desktop.

Thanks again!!!  Worked really quite well.

Kind regards,

Saxamo

PS... In CCleaner you need to uncheck "Start Menu Shortcuts"  Otherwise it will delete those links..

Thanks!

• Edited by saxamo69 Thursday, October 20, 2011 9:44 PM
    Thursday, October 20, 2011 8:05 PM